This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backup dvds in Linux?

Is there something equivalent to DVDfab or DVD cloner 7 in linux?

Re: Backup dvds in Linux?

Kk3b K3b has a "Copy Medium" icon option which you can use to make a clone of a CD or DVD. I've never tried it but if you have the libdvdcss library and some of its related apps installed you should be able to copy protected DvDs. The legality of copying "copy protected" DVDs depends on the laws of the country you live in.

However, using the "dd" command, which is low level, allows you to make an iso file of a CD or DVD regardless of content. You can then burn the iso just like you do when you make a LiveCD. The instructions are here.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

you might want to try k9copy.
      FKA: tanderson

Comment

Is there any way of playing the copy straight from the hdd? I guess isos can be mounted as a "virtual dvd drive" but what about dvd rips in the original vob format?

(sorry to hijack the thread)
        How often can you get this quality for free.

Comment

I've never done that, so I couldn't say. I'd guess that KDenlive, and perhaps, even VLC, can play VOB files.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by gemmakaru
            Is there any way of playing the copy straight from the hdd? I guess isos can be mounted as a "virtual dvd drive" but what about dvd rips in the original vob format?
            vob's are just mpgs, so just about any player will play the video files. You might have to do things differently for these ripped files to be treated like a dvd. In vlc for instance, you need to media/open disc and browse to select a directory where your ripped dvd files reside. Then vlc will behave like it is playing from an actual disk. Kaffeine used to be able to do the same thing, but since the kde4 switch has been gone. SMPlayer has a menu option for open dvd from folder.
            FKA: tanderson

Comment

It really depends on what you mean by DVD's.

If you're interested in ripping movies to your hard drive, dvd::rip or handbrake do this quite well.

If you're looking to create an ISO of an entire DVD and mount it that can be done also with k3b and a simple command.

Please Read Me

Comment

I have a lot of family DVDs that my whiz-bang cousin created --- now I want them in files.

k9copy can be used as a front end to mencoder, which will backup a wide variety of formats (of course, libdvdcss must be installed if encrypted with CSS).

Handbrake is the best, but only supports MKV container and H.264 or MP4 video codecs, none of which play on the majority of my devices. Whenever I use Handbrake I have to convert to .AVI/XVID/MP3 with mencoder anyway...

Here's some k9copy/mencoder instructions:

http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Video_Conversion
                Last edited by perspectoff; Jun 11, 2012, 10:28 PM.

UbuntuGuide/KubuntuGuide

Right now the killer is being surrounded by a web of deduction, forensic science,
                and the latest in technology such as two-way radios and e-mail.

Comment

Working...
                X