Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CAUTION: Kernel 2.6.31-7 -- don't remove your prior kernel, you might need it!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CAUTION: Kernel 2.6.31-7 -- don't remove your prior kernel, you might need it!

The new kernel doesn't exactly errrr .... boot. At least not on all machines.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ta/+bug/418509

Fair warning!

Re: CAUTION: Kernel 2.6.31-7 -- don't remove your prior kernel, you might need it!

Originally posted by dibl
    The new kernel doesn't exactly errrr .... boot.
    fail
    # make install --not-war

Comment

Re: CAUTION: Kernel 2.6.31-7 -- don't remove your prior kernel, you might need it!

I didn't have any trouble starting up, it's the shutdown part that doesn't work here.
      We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Re: CAUTION: Kernel 2.6.31-7 -- don't remove your prior kernel, you might need i

It's simply good practice to keep the previous "working kernel" when you opt to upgrade to a newer one. Until such time as you confirm that the new kernel "works as you expected,", one should NEVER remove the other kernel from you system, especially if it's your only other kernel!
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Funny, things were/are running so smoothly with the 2.6.31-6 kernel that I almost forgot it was a developmental system!

The 2.6.31-7 problems raise an interesting question, since tomorrow is "Feature Freeze" day -- I wonder what the "frozen" kernel will be?

Comment

I just noticed that the text and icons on all the menus and toolbars in OOo have disappeared. That's one feature I hope does not get frozen.
            We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Originally posted by doctordruidphd
              I didn't have any trouble starting up, it's the shutdown part that doesn't work here.
              Ditto. Hangs at 'requesting remaining processes to terminate...' (Pressing Alt-SysRq-S to do an emergency sync, then Alt-SysRq-B to reboot seemed to do okay, but I decided to roll back the upgrade. Too Windows-like not being able to shut down properly.)

Another problem with the recent upgrade was that it removed nvidia-glx-180 but didn't install nvida-glx-185, and it left "nvidia" as the driver in xorg.conf. result=booted into console only.

Check out my blog for useful scripts and tips... http://igurublog.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by IgnorantGuru

Another problem with the recent upgrade was that it removed nvidia-glx-180 but didn't install nvida-glx-185, and it left "nvidia" as the driver in xorg.conf. result=booted into console only.
                I'm using the downloaded nVidia driver, 190.18.03. Alpha OS and Beta video driver -- it's a wonder I can even browse the Forum!

Comment

Originally posted by doctordruidphd
                  I just noticed that the text and icons on all the menus and toolbars in OOo have disappeared. That's one feature I hope does not get frozen.
                  I didn't explore this in detail because I decided to roll it back, but I noticed that with the upgrade today openoffice.org-style-oxygen was installed, so that might have something to do with it. I know that with the alpha3, there were no OO icons until openoffice.org-style-crystal was manually installed, so you might try that.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
                    I'm using the downloaded nVidia driver, 190.18.03. Alpha OS and Beta video driver -- it's a wonder I can even browse the Forum!
                    You are a brave soul! I am not - I am using this alpha3 only because it has been working almost like a final version. Although I haven't been able to upgrade much - always seems to break something.

My problem with nvidia-glx-180 is that once X starts, I can't Ctrl-Alt-F1 back to a console - just get a blank screen at best, or flashing squares during shutdown. I regret to see this old bug still in the mix. 185 seemed to display normal text during shutdown, but still only a blank screen with Ctrl-Alt-F1.

Comment

lol, I have not been able to boot into any *.31 kernel without using acpi=off :/

but these .31 kernels are rc kernels so there is still room for fixes before Linus releases the final version

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh
                        lol, I have not been able to boot into any *.31 kernel without using acpi=off :/

but these .31 kernels are rc kernels so there is still room for fixes before Linus releases the final version

mmm.... I am running Jaunty on sda1 and Karmic on sda5. Both are using .31 and have given me no problems with the default settings in grub and grub2, respectively.
                        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

UPDATE:

Yesterday's updates somehow enabled 2.6.31-7 to boot correctly -- I don't know what fixed it. So I ran that kernel for less than one day. Today, I ran updates and got the new 2.6.31-8 kernel. When I went to shutdown and reboot to the new kernel, the earlier one wouldn't shut down (just as others have reported).

So, booted the new one. No nVidia driver was installed, so I got the command line, installed the nVidia driver, and VOILA I'm running right again.

Code:
                          dibl@karmic:~$ lsb_release -a
                          No LSB modules are available.
                          Distributor ID: Ubuntu
                          Description:  Ubuntu karmic (development branch)
                          Release:    9.10
                          Codename:    karmic
                          dibl@karmic:~$ uname -a
                          Linux karmic 2.6.31-8-generic #28-Ubuntu SMP Thu Aug 27 14:42:57 UTC 2009 x86_64 GNU/Linux
                          8)

Comment

I did the 2.6.31-7 upgrade yesterday and it boots OK, but it doesn't shut down unless I give it a little help with SysReq keys. I'm going to try the 2.6.31-8 kernel.
                            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I upgraded to the 2.6.31-8 kernel. No problem on shutdown.
                              2.6.31-7 did not shut down correctly. Hanging as described above.

The updated kernel may not start properly. I have two incidents in which the system was hanging after loggin in.

Originally posted by GreyGeek
                              I did the 2.6.31-7 upgrade yesterday and it boots OK, but it doesn't shut down unless I give it a little help with SysReq keys. I'm going to try the 2.6.31-8 kernel.

Comment

Working...
                              X