This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the Status of Kubuntu and LTS

I know there was a lot of talk when it was revealed that Ubuntu 8.04 would be LTS, but not Kubuntu 8.04. Now at home, this doesn't affect me too much as I will stick with Kubuntu and continue to update with each new release. However, the lab I work in at school uses linux software and I would like to semi-standardize all of the computers to one version of Ubuntu. Right now it's a hodge-podge of various Ubuntu and Kubuntu versions but my hope was to make them all Kubuntu 8.04 with the next LTS. Since that didn't happen, I'm a little torn as to what to do. I don't want to upgrade the systems every 6-months, I would in fact like them to remain the same for at least a couple years. Right now I'm considering installing Ubuntu 8.04 and letting people install KDE 3.5 (not kubuntu-desktop) if they want to use KDE.

I guess the biggest question I have is, will there be a Kubuntu LTS release soon (say Intrepid Ibex)? If I do use Kubuntu 8.04, will support drop after 18 months?

Re: What is the Status of Kubuntu and LTS

From what I gather from the last Kubuntu developers'/members' meeting, there has been no real news on that issue. We did discuss seeing if we could have 9.04 (iirc) an LTS release, but nothing has yet come out of that. So yes, for the most part, there will be no official support after 18 months. I doubt, however that any security updates will stop because the underlying kernel and core system files will continue to get the security updates as they are the same things used in Ubuntu LTS. KDE itself may not get as many but any serious issues there would still get some attention.

Comment

Haven't been around here in awhile. Will 10.04 be the first Kubuntu LTS since Dapper?

Comment

yes, that is correct

Comment

FINALLY
          Welcome newbies!
          Verify the ISO
          Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Working...
          X