X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HFS+ read/write for all users

Hi everybody,

I own an "old" iPod Video, originally it was formatted in FAT32 and everything worked nice with amarok and other applications... recently, I got a new-gen iPod and, after a little pain , it works with my linux box (kubuntu feisty)... then, I decided to use the "old" iPod as a massive storage media only, with capacity for big files (e.g. ISO image files > 4.5GB) and, as you know, FAT32 does not support that size of files, so I decided to format the device in HFS+ with my macbook. The process was a bit problematic, but after a while I can use the iPod HFS+ : read/write big files with my linux without problems... but only as root... ok, I can do the things I need, but I want to be able to do it as my everyday-user (plus the benefit of drag and drop with konqueror)...

In my /etc/fstab I have the following entry:

/dev/sdd3 /media/TUX-III-POD auto rw,users,noauto

and it works almost perfect: when I connect the iPod I asked for open in new window, I can see the contents, and using the command line I can sudo a cp... so, what am I missing to activate rw mode for all users? (or at least the user who mounted the device)...

Thanks in advance,

Hugo

EOF

Re: HFS+ read/write for all users

Originally posted by hugortega
    /dev/sdd3 /media/TUX-III-POD auto rw,users,noauto
    Looking at my fstab file, the noticeable difference in your entry above is the use of users as opposed to user. Try making this small change and see if things improve.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
      Looking at my fstab file, the noticeable difference in your entry above is the use of users as opposed to user. Try making this small change and see if things improve.
      The difference between 'user' and 'users' is that with 'user' only the mounting user can unmount the filesystem. The change won't affect filesystem permissions.

You can use "uid=", "gid=" and "umask=" options to set the ownership and permissions to get the desired permissions for non-root user(s). Try:
      /dev/sdd3 /media/TUX-III-POD auto rw,users,noauto,umask=0022
      (this should make the filesystem rwx for owning user and r-x for others...note that as the 'users' option implies 'noexec', you should use the 'exec' option if you actually wish to execute binaries from the filesystem)

EDIT: better yet, add uid=1000,gid=1000 options to always set the owning user/group to be your primary user.
      /dev/sdd3 /media/TUX-III-POD auto rw,users,noauto,uid=1000,gid=1000,umask=0022

EDIT2: just noticed you wished to set the filesystem writable for all users, then use 'umask=0000' instead of 'umask=0022' :P

Comment

Thanks Snowhog for your answer, but as kubicle says, there's no effect with 'user' instead of 'users' (I tried before)

kubicle,

Thanks too... I tried the options you said in my fstab file, but the mount point keeps read-only for my user... I checked my passwd and group files, and the uid and guid of my current user are 1000 both, so there's no problem with that... I tried too to mount manually (just in case kded is mounting in a different way, I don't know) with following command:

sudo mount /dev/sdd3 /media/TUX-III-POD -t auto -o rw,users,uid=1000,gid=1000,umask=0000

(and umask=0022) but it's exactly the same effect ...

Hugo

EOF

Comment

Sorry for the hasty response...I have next to none experience on HFS+ filesystems, and based the answer on the dated HFS filesystem.

it seems hfsplus should support POSIX filesystem permissions, so you should be able to set the permissions with chmod (for example, sudo chmod 777) or opening konqueror as root and editing mount directory properties after mounting.

Comment

Hi again kubicle,

Thanks for your help... I'll try other options as chmod or vudú ... anyway, I can do the job...

EOF

Comment

Working...
            X