This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you

I hope this is the right place if not please move as you see fit...

After trying a number of live cd's of differing flavours, I finally decided to clean my pc of windows once and for all, and installed Kubuntu 6.10 earlier this week. I have to say that the install itself was a totally painless experience, I had none of the problems that others seem to have had.

All my hardware was recognized from the start, my external hdd's and dvd rewriter and other usb peripherals were found and mounted with no problems. My ext hdd's are ntfs, but a quick search of these forums soon had my permissions problem solved. I also had a problem installing something (java I think) where I couldn't accept the agreement, which also resulted in adept not working due to the database locking. Again a quick search of the forums solved it.

Naturally there were more problems than those mentioned, however, they were all my own mistakes (well I've got to learn somehow right?). Even though this is my first post I have read many of the forums here, and I have managed to find all the answers I need without needing to ask. The end result being that I now have my computer pretty much set up how I want it, with the software I need (see screenshot below). All in all I have found, with the help of the knowledgeable people here, the migration to linux from windows xp not only relatively easy but a pleasant experience. I am now looking forward to learning something new everyday.

So a big THANK YOU to all the helpful people here who give their time and knowledge freely to n00bs like myself thus making the transition to linux much smoother.

Rokdad

(Not exactly mind blowing, I know. But certainly a lot more pleasing to the eye and a damn sight more functional than any set up I had on windows)

Re: Thank you

Welcome to kubuntu and the forums, always nice to hear success stories.

And it's good you took the forum search feature as your own, it's power is often neglected .

Comment

Working...
    X