X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

64 bit kubuntu

I have a toshiba lap top with the centrino duo core processor
    running 32 bit kubuntu could or should I install the 64 bit version if so how

Re: 64 bit kubuntu

I checked intels website and found that my centrino duo is 64 bit so I tried to boot a 64 bit version of kubuntu but I get the message that this is not an amd 64 bit system and it fails to boot so is there a intel 64 bit version of kubuntu
    forgive me for my ignorance in advance.

Comment

After alot of searching around the web I have come to this conclusion
      since this is a fairly new laptop I did not realize that the reason I would see
      my cpu's running at 1600mhz then later they would be at 800mhz (which I thought was a problem with kubuntu) Is actually the built in power saver for the centrino duo i.e. extending the use of battery, Its a good thing I want to learn all this

Comment

If you get the message that your system is not 64-bit then your CPU is simply not 64-bit. Centrino is just a marketing name, and there are several cpu's that go under that marketing name. There is the old Pentium-M cpu's, the Core Duo's and Core Solo's, then there are the new Core 2 Duo's which just came out and are the first Mobile Intel cpu's to be 64-bit.

You get the AMD64 message because AMD was the first to release consumer 64-bit CPU's, and AMD called the 64-bit architecture AMD64, and so you needed and AMD64 cpu otherwise you could not the 64-bit version. But 2 years later Intel also released 64-bit cpu's (they called them EM64T), and these can run 64-bit just like the AMD cpus, but the AMD64 reference has stayed around(the correct name for the 64-bit architecture is x86-64.

Comment

Working...
        X