X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Partitioning a Kubuntu System

Hi all,

Very new to Linux/Kubuntu and have a question...more like many questions, but I'll start with this one:

I have installed Kubuntu on my desktop as it's primary and only OS.  Now, my notebook has crashed that contained my WinXP OS.

I need to partition my desktop running Kubuntu, so I can load WinXP as an alternate OS (such as a dual boot).

I have looked around and searched, but cannot find what I need to do to go about partitioning this single hard disk desktop for a clean windows install.

Can anyone assist?

Thank you.

Re: Partitioning a Kubuntu System

OK, I'm new too, but I think I know what your looking for.

You want to create a partition on your computer runnning Kubuntu, and install Windows on it. So what you need is a partition program for linux--right?

I believe QTparted does what you need: http://qtparted.sourceforge.net/
    <br /><br />*temp. hiatus from forums due to comp + net broken* :&#039;(

Comment

Tell us your partitioning setup.

What is the output of fdisk -l ?

Moreover, it won't be really that easy to install Windows after you have installed Kubuntu.
      You would lose your GRUB, which then won't allow you to boot to Kubuntu.

It also means that you will have to install GRUB Again.

The normal thing to do...is to install Windows XP first followed by Kubuntu.

Can be done either ways, you can follow whichever method you want to...but always go for the easier one.

C Programs

Comment

The normal thing to do...is to install Windows XP first followed by Kubuntu. 

Can be done either ways, you can follow whichever method you want to...but always go for the easier one. 
        Thanks for suggestions - I think I'll do a fresh install of both, starting with XP.  Or maybe I'll just start installing the most needed win apps on Kubuntu and say so long to Windows...

Comment

>Or maybe I'll just start installing the most needed win apps on Kubuntu and say so long to Windows...

That is what we call....the Linux Spirit !

But as it is, nothing is as easy as Windows XP, and nothing is as powerful as Linux.
          C Programs

Comment

But as it is, nothing is as easy as Windows XP, and nothing is as powerful as Linux.   
            Nothing great and powerful is ever easy...thank you all for your help.  This type of community support is what helps make Linux/Kubuntu less difficult.

Comment

Working...
            X