X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't Compile Intel 536 driver

hey,

I'm new to kubuntu (2.6.17), and linux, so please bear with me....

I'm having problems compiling the drivers for Intel modem 536EP. I think I have the right files - /Intel-536EP-4.71/

instructions were:
    1. login as ROOT
    2. extract the archive into a directory with "tar -zxvf <archivename>.tgz"
    3. cd into the directory it created.
    4. Type: make clean
    5. Type: make 536
    6. Type: make install

up to step 4-make clean, everything is executing as expected. but "make 536" is failing. output follows:

is there a really obvious step/prerequisite that I've missed?

root@tara-desktop:/home/tara/Desktop/Intel-536-up# make 536
    Module precompile check
    Current running kernel is: 2.6.17-10-generic
    /lib/modules... autoconf.h exists
    diff: /boot/vmlinuz.autoconf.h: No such file or directory
    autoconf.h matches running kernel
    diff: /boot/vmlinuz.version.h: No such file or directory
    version.h matches running kernel
    uname -r|grep "2.6" && \
    cd coredrv && make 536core_26 && \
    cp Intel536.ko .. && cd .. && \
    strip --strip-debug Intel536.ko && \
    exit; \
    ls Intel536.ko >/dev/null 2>&1 || uname -r | grep "2.6" && echo "Failed to build driver" && exit; \
    if [ ]; then \
    cd coredrv; make TARGET=TARGET_SELAH KERNEL_SOURCE_PATH= "PSTN_DEF=-DTARGET_SELAH -DTARGET_LINUX -DLINUX" 536core; \
    else \
    cd coredrv; make TARGET=TARGET_SELAH KERNEL_INCLUDES=/lib/modules/`uname -r`/build/include \
    "PSTN_DEF=-DTARGET_SELAH -DTARGET_LINUX -DLINUX" 536core; \
    fi ; \
    cp Intel536.o .. ; \
    if [ -a /boot/vmlinuz.version.h ]; then \
    cp /boot/vmlinuz.version.h /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build/include/linux/version.h;\
    fi
    2.6.17-10-generic
    make[1]: Entering directory `/home/tara/Desktop/Intel-536-up/coredrv'
    make -C /lib/modules/2.6.17-10-generic/build SUBDIRS=/home/tara/Desktop/Intel-536-up/coredrv modules
    make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.17-10-generic'
    CC [M] /home/tara/Desktop/Intel-536-up/coredrv/coredrv.o
    /home/tara/Desktop/Intel-536-up/coredrv/coredrv.c:73: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
    /home/tara/Desktop/Intel-536-up/coredrv/coredrv.c:73: warning: type defaults to ‘int’ in declaration of ‘EXPORT_SYMBOL_NOVERS’
    /home/tara/Desktop/Intel-536-up/coredrv/coredrv.c:73: warning: parameter names (without types) in function declaration
    /home/tara/Desktop/Intel-536-up/coredrv/coredrv.c: In function ‘softcore_init_struct’:
    /home/tara/Desktop/Intel-536-up/coredrv/coredrv.c:339: warning: assignment from incompatible pointer type
    /home/tara/Desktop/Intel-536-up/coredrv/coredrv.c: In function ‘close’:
    /home/tara/Desktop/Intel-536-up/coredrv/coredrv.c:439: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘pm_unregister’
    /home/tara/Desktop/Intel-536-up/coredrv/coredrv.c: In function ‘send_data_to_user’:
    /home/tara/Desktop/Intel-536-up/coredrv/coredrv.c:587: error: ‘struct tty_struct’ has no member named ‘flip’
    /home/tara/Desktop/Intel-536-up/coredrv/coredrv.c:592: error: ‘struct tty_struct’ has no member named ‘flip’
    /home/tara/Desktop/Intel-536-up/coredrv/coredrv.c:593: error: ‘struct tty_struct’ has no member named ‘flip’
    /home/tara/Desktop/Intel-536-up/coredrv/coredrv.c:595: error: ‘struct tty_struct’ has no member named ‘flip’
    /home/tara/Desktop/Intel-536-up/coredrv/coredrv.c:596: error: ‘struct tty_struct’ has no member named ‘flip’
    /home/tara/Desktop/Intel-536-up/coredrv/coredrv.c:597: error: ‘struct tty_struct’ has no member named ‘flip’
    /home/tara/Desktop/Intel-536-up/coredrv/coredrv.c: At top level:
    /home/tara/Desktop/Intel-536-up/coredrv/coredrv.c:665: error: expected ‘)’ before string constant
    /home/tara/Desktop/Intel-536-up/coredrv/coredrv.c: In function ‘hamproc_write’:
    /home/tara/Desktop/Intel-536-up/coredrv/coredrv.c:684: warning: ignoring return value of ‘copy_from_user’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result
    /home/tara/Desktop/Intel-536-up/coredrv/coredrv.c: At top level:
    /home/tara/Desktop/Intel-536-up/coredrv/coredrv.c:880: warning: initialization makes integer from pointer without a cast
    make[3]: *** [/home/tara/Desktop/Intel-536-up/coredrv/coredrv.o] Error 1
    make[2]: *** [_module_/home/tara/Desktop/Intel-536-up/coredrv] Error 2
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.17-10-generic'
    make[1]: *** [536core_26] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/tara/Desktop/Intel-536-up/coredrv'
    2.6.17-10-generic
    Failed to build driver

Re: Can't Compile Intel 536 driver

Hi tko1,

Did you install the kernel source code and dev tools?

You need these to compile anything.

Diesel1.

Comment

Hi Diesel1.

I haven't knowingly done either of those things! and I'm not sure how I go about doing them, could you point me toward a how-to? I've attempted (since your post) to install the build-essentials package, but the errors compiling the driver are the same. Am I way off track? I have searched the forum, but I must be looking for the wrong terms...

thanks for the reply.

Comment

I thought I'd post my findings.

This was the most helpful link I found
        http://www.mepislovers.org/modules/n...=10554&forum=6

I had all the necessary packages, it's just that you need to patch the 4.69.1 driver

I now (finally) have a .ko file.

I was able to query the modem, but lost settings on a reboot. I guess that's another challenge!

I've been really impressed with kubuntu in every respect other than getting internet access, but this is such a big drawback. It shouldn't be this difficult.

Tara

Comment

Hi tko1,

I finally got my driver to compile by following this howto......

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/search.p...rchid=11654497

I hope this helps you finish the modem setup.

Diesel1.

Comment

Hey Diesel1, I can see that you've been sharing my pain!

I managed to get the settings to stick, (so the drivers appear to get loaded correctly after a reboot).

I cannot get KPPP to work though. Query modem appears to pull back the correct info, but doesn't appear to create a connection. I restorted to using the ATX, ATD etc etc commands in the terminal commands window, and I could clearly see the IP address being allocated and hear the connection.
            (So I do know that I have the right log in, password etc).

However.

1. I do not want to do that every time I need an internet connection!
            2. even when I go to those lengths, I cannot seem to get the browser to use the connection (very strange).

I didn't play around for too long (this was before Christmas) so I will have another go and attempt to follow the links on the ubuntu forum:
            http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthre...=302969&page=2

(is that the one you meant to link to, I couldn't follow the link.)

Thanks for the help. Much appreciated.

I feel like I might just get there in the end.

Tara

Comment

Working...
            X