This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MIDI and soundfonts

Hi everybody. This is my first post. I looked for simple guides here and in other sites but nohing worked... I'm a newbie :-(

I'm trying to make my Kubuntu to do EVERYTHING I did with Windows (and more). I miss just one thing: what I used to do with Van Basco MIDI Karaoke and Sonar sequencer.

I use KMid instead of VanBasco and Rosegarden instead of Sonar. Normal MIDI works (I have an old external MIDI device), but I'd like to use some good soundfonts.
    In Sonar, under Windows, I used VST: it loaded GS Sound Canvas sounds, old but good to play standard songs.
    In Rosegarden I use Jack + QSynth + some good soundfonts (e.g Titanic soundfonts).
    I have a Soundblaster Live! soundcard.

Here's what I obtain: a lot of small pauses in the sound. Looks like the kernel is not able to manage it. That's weird, because in Windows everything worked, so it's not a problem of my hardware. I tried some smaller soundfonts, but the effect is always the same.

And, more: KMid is not able to interface with QSynth and JACK. Or, I'm not able to configure it.

I tried some alternatives:
    - Timidity: bad sound quality, always stops and sometimes even freezes the screen. Reboot Linux?!?!? :-o
    - Sounfonts preloaded in the config file of Timidity. Simply it doesn't work. I don't get any sound.
    - Using sfxload: strangely, I don't have this command. Where can I get it? I have a SoundBlaster, working under ALSA, how come Kubuntu didn't install asfxload command? And... where can I get it? Repositories? Anyway I'm not interested in sfxload because it loads only 8Mb (my soundcard memory) soundfonts so the quality is quite poor.
    - wine: VanBasco works, but no sound. winecfg under "Audio" just crashes.

Please help me (sorry if you discussed already about it, if you did, just write the link, I ask sorry again), but remember: I am a real newbie and I'm using my first Linux only since two weeks.
    I use Kubuntu edgy, on an AMD Thunderbird 1600+, 512Mb RAM, 200Gb hard disk, VIAKT400 mobo chipset.

Thank you everybody.

Re: MIDI and soundfonts

Solved! ^_^

The problem was TIMIDITY.
    I unistalled it. Now: sfxload works (with kmid is ok with sblive 8Mb soundfonts). Now I'm writing my first Linux script, to load soundfonts and launch kmid automatically) and even VanBasco works under wine.

The other problems were Qsynth and JACK: if I only use Fluidsynth, without Qsynth (that's Fluidsynth's GUI) and JACK connector, I just have to tell Fluidsynth via command line to use the very good soundfonts (e.g. Titanic.sf2) and ALSA connection. After this, Soundgarden works in a very good way, without sound scratches and distortions.

Comment

Working...
    X