This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dual boot system question

I have windows xp and Kubuntu breezy 5.10 installed on my dell laptop inspiron 8600. Is there anyway that I can access files in my windows xp partition and move some to kubuntu?

Re: Dual boot system question

yes you can mount your windows xp partitions in kubuntu, but you can move you files only if you have FAT/FAT32 partitions in windowsXP, linux doesn't fully support RW mode for NTFS partitions, you can copy your files to kubuntu though. If you want help how to mount a partition, you can check the man page of mount. type man mount 5. If you need help mounting your partitions, post the output of sudo fdisk -l && cat /etc/fstab.
    cheers!
    -=|From the desk of|=-
    «•´`•.(*•.¸(`•.¸ ¸.•´)¸.•*).•´`•»
    «•´¨*•.¸¸whoiam55.¸¸.•*¨`•»
    «•´`•.(¸.•´(¸.•* *•.¸)`•.¸).•´`•»
    Reg. Linux User # 400637

Comment

You have to mount windows partition.
      mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/win
      where hda1 is windows partition (it may be on a different partition, like hda2 or hdb etc.)
      Then cd into /mnt/win. Check your /mnt directory, maybe that partition is mounted already.

If you want to mount some partitions on system boot automatically change /etc/fstab file, but you have to know what you are doing. See man pages for mount and fstab.

What is more, if you use ntfs, you will be able only to read. There are captive drivers for writing to ntfs partitions but it's very slow.

Comment

Originally posted by whoiam55
        yes you can mount your windows xp partitions in kubuntu, but you can move you files only if you have FAT/FAT32 partitions in windowsXP, linux doesn't fully support RW mode for NTFS partitions,
        I do believe the 2.6 Kernel has corrected most of those issues.

Comment

http://www.ubuntuguide.org/#windows

Just change all the gedit references to kwrite
          Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

Originally posted by aysiu
            http://www.ubuntuguide.org/#windows

Just change all the gedit references to kwrite
            Sorry to bother you guys with a (probably) easy question, but what would this precisely do?

Comment

It's a detailed guide on how to mount Windows partitions- both NFTS and FAT
              <br /><br />*temp. hiatus from forums due to comp + net broken* :&#039;(

Comment

Okay, and what does aysiu's raplacement from gedit to kwrite do?

Comment

gedit and kwrite are like Windows "Notepad", just simple text editors.

gedit comes in gnome(ubuntu)
                  kwrite comes in Kde (Kubuntu)

Comment

Originally posted by Kroesss
                    Okay, and what does aysiu's raplacement from gedit to kwrite do?
                    When the guide says something like
                    Code:
                    sudo gedit /etc/fstab
                    it means with root privileges (sudo) open a text editor (gedit) to modify this file (/etc/fstab). If you do that command in KDE, it's going to give you an error because there is no gedit in KDE. The translation would be with root privileges (sudo) open a text editor (kwrite) to modify this file (/etc/fstab)... or
                    Code:
                    sudo kwrite /etc/fstab
                    Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

Okay, thanks for explaining. I'm really starting from zero with linux as you can see. Very exited though, I love the philosofy behind the whole thing.

Keep up the good work!

Comment

Working...
                      X