This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing 6.06

Hope this not redundent as I have asked aboit installing 6.06 before with no answers that help me get the distro installed.

With that said , the senario is this. Machine with 2.8G P4, 1Gig mem, 80 Gig SATA drive with Mandrake 9.2 running perfect.

Want to trash the drive and install 6.06. Have CD's made and sent from Kubunto, not burned by me.

The doc reads ' To install Kunbuntu, run the live CD and double click in the " install " icon.

I have tried to let the machine boot from the CD and then run the install when prompted. Machine starts to load and tells me " loading kernal , OK and hangs.

Have let the machine boot on the HD and then tried to run the install after looking at dir on CD and then trying to " run " the install prog. Maybe I am so ignorrant and completely new to Linux that I do not know how to do this.

When I bought the Mandrake distro, followed the instructions to install the system and everything worked perfectly. What am I missing here. Bout ready to give up. Thanks.

Re: Installing 6.06

load and tells me " loading kernal , OK and hangs.
    That also happens to me but i burnt the cd myself so it looks like kubuntu are downloading the same file as me and burning it the same way if they were the ones who sent it to you.

I tried with edgy and that hangs at the blue loading bar..Then i tried dapper and it loads about 2 modules..then sticks for a while at loading live cd module or something then finally finishes and says uncompressing linux kernel or sumthin and sticks there.

Comment

Hello
      I am new in Linux. Sorry if this doesnt help u.
      Try to check/cross check the media that u use, may be it caused from the CD/DVD.
      CMIIW

Comment

Have downloaded 6.06 to see if it is any different than the two CD's I have gotten direct from Kubuntu. Same results. Will not load. Same problem. Tells me it is loading the kernel and hangs.

Will stick to Mandrake 9.2. Not overly happy, but at least IT works. Think Kunbuntu is a bad joke. >

Comment

Hi,
          I had the same problem and found that useing the Alternate CD worked fine. But do check the Md5 sum of your download.

Regards John

Comment

Hello
            I am new in Linux, so i am sorry if this is does not help you.
            I think you must consider that you are using SATA drive, that it is not supported by some kernel. But i do not know for now.
            May be this link useful for you
            http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=100969
            http://forums.viaarena.com/messagevi...&enterthread=y
            CMIIW

Comment

Thanks all for the reply's and help. I know Linux runs on SATA drives because I have a drive with Mandrake 9.2 installed and running perfectly on one.

Comment

Working...
              X