Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Server install "don't run before you can walk although, it may be too late" :-)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Server install "don't run before you can walk although, it may be too late" :-)

Before we start I would just like to state that I've only just been born into the world of Linux so forgive for all of my questions.
    Okay here goes!
    Recently I downloaded Ubuntu 6.10 desktop so i could install it on my Compaq AP500. It ran fine from the CD but, when i restarted the box after i had installed it it never boot up Could record the error messages as I would know how too? So after reading a article on "hosting websites", something I intend to do; it mentioned the best platform to host a site would be linux PHP so i decided to kill two birds with one stone and install a server copy of linux again this didn't work "loads of errors etc no way of recording them"Anyway to cut a long story short I have just installed Kubuntu desktop and it works so my questions are as follows: Do you think the two versions of ubuntu that I downloaded were faulty? If i was told how to record the error meassages i could advertise them here and since the kubuntu desktop worked is there a server version of this that utilises PHP that i can download from somewhere in order to see if that work on my box. hopefully someone will be able to enlighten me so i may enjoy the new world order of linux. many thanks in advance of you response. Justin

Re: Server install "don't run before you can walk although, it may be too late" :-)

Were the 2 previous versions faulty? Most likely no. There is a very small chance that Ubuntu didn't work because of some hardware problem - but the fact that Kubuntu works tends to point to operator errors. :-) Don't feel bad - we all had problems the first time.

As far as I know you can run any Linux application in Kubuntu, including servers. You might want to read up on Apache for web servers and Samba for file and print sharing servers over the local network.

Can I offer an observation? Web servers (for that matter Samba) can be a struggle, I mean this is fairly advanced material. Maybe you should learn your way around your Kubuntu box before you tackle the big projects.

Comment

Working...
    X