dual boot Windows 10 to Kubuntu 20.04

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Installation] dual boot Windows 10 to Kubuntu 20.04

I am older than most people my age, and with memory problems. I purchased a new Samsung
    Galaxy laptop. I created a bootable USB and attempted to install the new OS, but my computer would not boot to the bootable USB.

I haven't used a computer in a while, and don't know what I am doing that is wrong. My bulb is dimming, so please be gentle and forgiving. Thanks!

Shab

I'm no Windows 10 power user, but this sounds like the Windows "Fast Boot" feature is active. This is intended to allow Windows to boot as quickly as possible. The last time I looked, this was found in Power under the Settings menu.
    The next brick house on the left
    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

I had to do this back in 2018 and I firstly reduced the size used by Windows 10 and then in the spare space, I installed Kubuntu. From memory, I ended up using a Windows 10 installation disk to fix some errors that I made.

You can find guides on the internet using as search "How to reduce the size of Windows 10's footprint on your PC". One useful site to do this is: https://www.getfilecloud.com/blog/20.../#.YTnvlVuClO8.

In the space not used by Windows, I was able to install Kubuntu. I then installed grub-customizer which gives options to define a boot menu so that I could boot Windows or Kubuntu.

Hope you have success at booting either Windows 10 or Kubuntu.

Comment

First you need to check the boot order in the bios. There will be a key you need to press when you first boot like F2, it often says and that will take you into the bios. You can set the boot order somewhere there to make sure it goes to the USB first.

Comment

Sorry, term is Fast Startup in the settings.
          The next brick house on the left
          Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

Sorry, I had not realized that the original problem was seeing the Kubuntu installation USB.

It seems that with the Samsung Galaxy laptop, the F10 key pressed repeatedly after power-on will show the Kubuntu Installation USB. Alternately F2 might give the same result. I have a HP Laptop and with that, I repeatedly press the Esc key, to get the USB listed with other options.

Hope you have success with your startup and testing of Kubuntu.

Comment

Working...
            X