Video won't play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Multimedia] Video won't play

I'm trying to move my files to this new computer, and having troubles. Some were corrupt on the USB I used to transfer too much. So after one of my most important videos wouldn't open, I deleted all the files and tried to copy and move them one at a time.

I just copied one of my most important mp4 videos. Before, with the corrupt file, it would play half and then stop. So I erased it, recopied it as the only file on the USB, moved it over, and VLC opened it and gave me the option to resume where I left off, which I selected. The orange and white cone displayed and it wouldn't play at all. I thought, maybe the problem is with VLC. So I downloaded mpv media player.

VLC will open when I right click the file and select "open with VLC", but the mp4 won't play.

When I do the same with open with mpv Media player, nothing happens and it doesn't open.

How do I figure out what's wrong and fix it?

Thank you all for your help.

Using Kubuntu 21.04
    Desktop
    KDE Plasma Version: 5.21.4
    Qt Version 5.15.2
    Kernel Version: 5.11.0-17-generic
    OS Type: 64-bit
    Graphics Platform: X11

Processors: 16 x AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
    Memory: 62.8 Gib of Ram
    Graphics Processor:AMD SIENNA_CICHLID

Only this one file won't play? Or any video file?
    Does it play fine on the original computer?
    Have you tried different USB sticks?

I suspect the stick is going bad. No amount of erasing and rewriting will fix that
    Usually, if VLC won't play a video, there most likely is something wrong with the file.

Comment

That video will play on the original computer, but not once I copied it to this new computer.

I just tried to copy another video. It plays on the original computer, and I can click anywhere on the time bar, and it will play from there. On the new computer, video 2 opens and plays, but the sound cuts out and it freezes around 4 minutes.

I'll try a new USB. Thank you.

Comment

If you have to copy a lot of stuff, you could just do it over the network.
        If you search for, e.g., "ubuntu sambashare", there's a ton of pages that explain how to set it up.
        It's not really difficult, just follow the instructions, and once it's done, you have it available for any transfers you need.

Comment

I would love to use KDE connect for this, but I can't get my old Fedora system to connect to the WiFi or through the wire. It will acknowledge that it sees the wifi, but has a question mark on the GNOME desktop where the wifi icon should be. Is that a problem for another forum, though? I tried rebooting it and the wifi a bunch. Connecting, disconnecting. It lists the wifi and acknowledges I typed the password right, and it works fine on this computer and my phone. I'm stumped.

I have a spare low quality USB that is working, but it's slow going. Is there a good way to convert a nicer USB that I burned an operating system onto back into a file transfer USB in Kubuntu?

Comment

For your Fedora system you can ask on https://ask.fedoraproject.org/
            For the USB drive just reformat it to something like ext4 and you'll be able to use it for file transfer again.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeryosh View Post
              For your Fedora system you can ask on https://ask.fedoraproject.org/
              For the USB drive just reformat it to something like ext4 and you'll be able to use it for file transfer again.
              Ext4 would require user permission adjustments that are at the very least annoying af

The OP can use Partition Manager to wipe the usb and the format it using fat32 which does not use file and directory permissions at all.

Another option for the OP if another usb stick us available is to boot the fedora machine to a live Kubuntu and see if the wifi or ethernet works there.

Or better yet use the lspci command to show hardware info which we might be able to use to find out what Fedora needs to get the networking up and running.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
              X