This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[System] Getting frustrated

Well, now when I get logged in through the very strange login screen that KDE has started giving me, I no longer seem to have the terminal application installed so can't get to a command prompt and there are NO networking programs in the GUI menus to see why I have no network. I was connected to wireless just fine yestserday, went home and started computer up and no network icons were at bottom right at all. Then started hunting for anything to do with the network and there is nothing in settings or anywhere else I could locate. I like KDE but am about to go back to Gnome and PopOS as I'm not very happy with Kubuntu at the moment.

Any idea how to open a terminal when the application has been deleted?

And where do I research the wireless problem?

Thanks,

so it looks like konsole is the application that comes with kde to open terminal? If so, for some strange reason and without doing anything but closing the lid on my computer, the konsole app has been deleted. Along with any way to run networking. And without a network connection I can't restore anything.

Comment

I have to tell you guys. I'm not sure what the deal is with Kubuntu but you're crazy if you buy from them instead of System76. They both sale same computers for the same price but system76 actually supports their systems. The fact that I've been down now for a day with zero assistance in getting the system back up is insane.

Comment

Ok, I plugged into hard line and got network going to reinstall konsole (no idea what deleted this) but I still can not see any network manager or how to start stop wireless or connect to different networks. What is the name of the network manager and how do you open it? I installed plasma-nm but can't run anything with that name and still don't see any program that I can run to get into network settings.

Thanks,

Comment

Potential Malicious Script

I'm stunned!

For the Konsole, go in Discover and search for it. Is it installed? Click on it and select <<launch>> at top right. Install it if has gone.

For wifi, it looks like it is disabled in the BIOS? Nothing is visible in such case. From the taskbar, is the network icon shows airplane mode? Try to boot into the installer and see if wifi works?

For the rest, it looks like you have a virus. Sounds like a malicious script deleted the terminal and the wifi network. Such script is active after shutdown.

If you are not able to recover wifi, redo the fresh install because the rest is time consuming.

Wifi is set to airplane mode here (soft blocked):

Code:
          lspci -knn | grep Net -A3; rfkill list
          04:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8822BE 802.11a/b/g/n/ac WiFi adapter [10ec:b822]
               Subsystem: Lenovo Device [17aa:b024]
               Kernel driver in use: rtw_8822be
               Kernel modules: rtw88_8822be
          0: phy0: Wireless LAN
               Soft blocked: yes
               Hard blocked: no
          Hard blocked is made in the BIOS and cmd line is not working after (ThinkPad).

Comment

One thing to check is to add another user, and log in with that username, to see if that user is affected. It's possible that your menu entries have been borked.
            Regards, John Little

Comment

I doubt that the any of the Kubuntu ISO's on https://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu have been compromised. You did use the checksum after you downloaded, didn't you?

The Konsole is installed by default. No need to search for it in Discover.

If the WiFi has a soft block then there is usually a key combo responsible for it. On my Acer V3-771G if I hit the F3 key I can toggle the WiFi on or off. Unlike some laptops there is NO mechanical switch on my front bezel to turn the WiFi on or off (hard block).

EDIT:
              I wasn't aware from your OP that you had purchased your laptop from KFocus. Kubuntu itself is not affiliated with any hardware manufacturer. Back in 2012 Canonical cut it loose from financial support and Blue Systems began supporting it. Recently, not sure when, support for Kubuntu was turned over to the community. So, Kubuntu as a distro is not responsible for or to blame for any problems encountered on a laptop on which the laptop maker preinstalls it. That said, I've seen folks have problems with System76. My son purchases an S76 Gazelle several years ago and it has and is working wonderfully. A member of this forum has a different tale to tell. When 20.04 came out my son asked me to install it on his S76. I did and the installation went very well. He lost no functionality and gained considerably by switching to BTRFS as the root filesystem.

You may want to consider doing a fresh install from a verified 20.04.x Kubuntu ISO. (And, I heartily recommend using BTRFS as the root file system! )
              Last edited by GreyGeek; May 29, 2021, 11:33 AM.
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by cybercrypt13 View Post
                I have to tell you guys. I'm not sure what the deal is with Kubuntu but you're crazy if you buy from them instead of System76. They both sale same computers for the same price but system76 actually supports their systems. The fact that I've been down now for a day with zero assistance in getting the system back up is insane.
                So you bought a Kubuntu laptop, and this is not just a Kubuntu ISO install problem? Did the computer come to you from Kubuntu Focus this way?
                The next brick house on the left
                Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Working...
                X