Can't login

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Errors] Can't login

First, I shut lid on computer last night when I went to bed and it didn't actually go to sleep. I came in to work this morning and opened it and the screen was all jacked up and locked up and required me to hard reset to reboot. When it books now it puts me on screen that has Session at top left with no options to chose anything, And a Reset and Power off icon in top right. In the middle of the screen it has my user name and a password box but it brings up an onscreen keyboard to type my password.

The really awesome part is that no matter what I do it won't let me press enter to enter my password. So I can type it with the mouse or with the keyboard but there is no way to login. I'm just stuck on this screen with zero explanation of what is going on or why I have been placed here. This was not the normal login screen when I went to bed last night.

Any ideas how to use this computer again?

Thanks

Glenn

That is an odd screen. Can you post photo of this, or a link to an image?
    There is, I believe, only one graphical login screen style and one type of lock screen in Kubuntu, unless one has added or installed something. Themes, or adding another desktop environment, or a different login manager that this might have pulled in? We have no details about your setup.

But:
    At that login screen, ctrl-alt-f2 (or f3, etc)
    then enter :L

startplasma-x11

This manually starts plasma, without the login manager (SDDM for Kubuntu). This should give you a desktop so you can investigate things, and if not, the errors shown might be useful in determining potential causes.

Comment

Forum won't let me paste images apparently.

Comment

When I type startplasma-x11 it says command not installed.

Comment

Installed it through apt-get but now says cannot connect to the x server because $DISPLAY is not set

Comment

After a bit of searching:
            WINDOWMANAGER=startkde startx

got me into kde but still confused as to what is going on with primary screen?

Thanks,

Glenn

Comment

You can use an image upload website, but I think now you can add images as well as urls, you have enough post now.
              No idea what happened tbh.

Any details about your system, and your install setup? Any customization, added repos, multiple desktop environments installed, etc?

Comment

When a logged out, and back at the bad login screen, try going back to the tty and try restarting SDDM, this may give errors.

systemctl sddm restart

In the previous attempts, you have not tried starting plasma using sudo, have you? Using sudo to run desktop related stuff is one way things can break, so it is worth asking to eliminate some things.

Comment

Nothing, pretty much the way it was when I got it. I am running NVIDIA drivers atm because I have external monitors but other than that nothing I can think of

Comment

Nothing, pretty much the way it was when I got it. I am running NVIDIA drivers atm because I have external monitors but other than that nothing I can think of

Comment

Working...
                    X