X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Multimedia] 21.04 - pulseaudio or pipewire

Hello,

Just installed 21.04 and ksysguard shows both pulseaudio and pipewire processes. Why both? How to disable pulseaudio and use pipewire onlly?

TIA

Hi
    I presently can see pipewire in my processes with

memory: 30.48 K
    shared memory 8,4000 K

pipewire-media-session
    it is displaying Firefox with a shared memory of 148,700 and a window title of "multimedia". Although i do not presently ahve any multimedia running through FF

for pulseaudio I am seeing

pulse audio with 3,932 K
    shared memory of 14,996K also running the multimedia.

pulse audio is also showing:

gsettings:
    memory : 908K
    shared memory 7,948 K

So, one setting that is different is "gsettings".

So...lol...I'm going to post this and hope that my OS does not lock up and I may be back...or not...lol

woodsmoke
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

I tried to reply but there is nothing there.

ok it is back:

with pipewire I get:

with pipewire-media- I get "zombie".
      woodsmoke
      sigpic
      Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

LOl
        so...I'm baaack...

Trying to kill pulse audio

i get a "popup box" that was very quick and asked if i really wanted to do anything because of "unsaved audio" and the box then went away and everything is running fine.

So... I am sure that somebody is going to pop along pretty quick to say that the old woodsmoker is some REAL KINDA STUPID!!

But, both things are running

A video is running

pipewire-media- is NOT running it is still "zombie" ...

so...dunno...
        sigpic
        Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Pipewire is running CPU process at about up to about 5% when I am playing a stream with Elisa.

Pulseaudio is running the same.

So, it may be that both of the things need to be running for some kind of reason, that is waaaay above my paygrade!

Sorry i could not help more.

woodsmoke
          sigpic
          Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

I uninstalled pulseaudio, rebooted and tried a youtube clip - no sound. Pipewire still running, now I need to find how to make it work. Thanks.

Comment

Are you sure you removed Pulse Audio and not the service that pipewire needs to make the sound for PA applications work?

from here https://feaneron.com/2020/12/07/switching-to-pipewire/

Like JACK, PipeWire has replacement libraries for PulseAudio. However, since the 0.3.14 release, PipeWire comes with a PulseAudio server instead. This server exposes a PulseAudio socket, and pretends to be a complete PulseAudio server, only that internally it translates commands to PipeWire commands.
              As of today, December 7th 2020, I?m happily running my entire desktop using PipeWire. After installing pipewire-pulse, and removing the pulseaudio daemon, I enabled it with:

Code:
              $ systemctl --user enable pipewire.service pipewire-pulse.service
              Hopefully package managers will automatically do this in the future. Keep in mind that even if PulseAudio?s and PipeWire?s daemons don?t break spectacularly when running together, it is recommended to only run one at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by Bings View Post
                Are you sure you removed Pulse Audio and not the service that pipewire needs to make the sound for PA applications work?

from here https://feaneron.com/2020/12/07/switching-to-pipewire/
                This is what I did:

1. Reinstalled pulseaudio. Sound returned. Not sure if it was neccessary.

2. Enabled and started pipewire.service.

3. Tried starting pipewire-pulse.service, computer complains: unit file does not exist.

4. Stopped and disabled pulseaudio.service.

Sound in youtube now wotrks, probably using pipewire. Looks like.

Thanks all.

Comment

Working...
                X