Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can I get my laptop's internal speakers and microphone working at the same time?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Settings] How can I get my laptop's internal speakers and microphone working at the same time?

Hey all,

Complete Linux noob here, just messing around with Kubuntu (20.10) on my laptop

I can't get BOTH my laptop's internal speakers and internal microphone working at the same time! Laptop is a HP Envy X360 m4-ar004dx

In my audio settings, under advanced, I have this:

ALSA recognises my hardware just fine, but I can only select either the Analogue Stereo Output (speakers) OR Analogue Stereo Input (microphone) to work, NOT both at the same time.

How can I get both working? Thanks!

Are you using "sudo alsamixer" in a Konsole?
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Yes, but unfortunately any changes I make in Alsamixer doesn't actually do anything useful, as the system will ignore any changes I make unless I manually select the audio source to Analogue Stereo Output (which stops the microphone working)

Comment

Another thing to try would be pulse audio volume control (pavucontrol-qt). Sometimes helps with issues like you're experiencing. As the migration from pulse to pipewire continues, hiccups here and there are perhaps inevitable. A quick Startpage search (as well as there forums) will show some hiccups with audio in the latest Ubuntu LTS.
        ​"Keep it between the ditches"
        K*Digest Blog
        K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Crystalyne View Post
          Yes, but unfortunately any changes I make in Alsamixer doesn't actually do anything useful, as the system will ignore any changes I make unless I manually select the audio source to Analogue Stereo Output (which stops the microphone working)
          Then you need to do this: https://ubuntu-mate.community/t/stor...settings/16953
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
          X