This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Settings] Unable to add EPSON Printer - Even with following tutorial

I am having trouble with adding a printer to my Kubuntu installation.

I have followed the tutorial from this link: https://tutorialforlinux.com/2019/04...nload-install/

I use an EPSON ET-3760 and for some reason, even after installing the printer driver by following that tutorial, it doesn't show up as an option in the printer settings. The additional problem is I don't know where the driver was installed to in the file system, even after reading terminal installation process information.

Any help with this is greatly appreciated. I really do like the layout of this operating system, it has more thought put into it than others. Very clean looking.

Are you running Kubuntu 18.04? It's EOL is coming up soon. You should consider upgrading to 20.04.

Regardless, first do "sudo apt --fix-broken install" and then "sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade". Lastly, to clear out any cruft, "sudo apt autoremove".

Now, you can download the all-in-one driver Linux from here:
    https://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/d...84dc32e7772d0c

That will lead you to here:
    https://download2.ebz.epson.net/epso..._64.deb.tar.gz

You can use Ark to untar the deb package. Then, in Settings --> Printers delete any printer settings there.
    After that install the deb package (dpkg -i epsonscan2-bundle-6.6.2.2.x86_64.deb)

IF you are using a USB attachment plug the printer in and let the system find it. Or, failing that, go back into Settings --> Printers and choose "+Add printer" and let it fill in automatically, if it can.

IF, after all that, you still can't see, connect to, or print a good test page, then more DDG research is necessary.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

The installation of the driver was successful. But it didn't automatically detect the printer. The EPSON Inkjet local printer option did show up in the list, however my specific printer "ET-3760" or other similar Eco-Tank printers didn't show up at all in the list when I went further into the setup wizard.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post

That is the scanner driver, not the printer driver.

This is the correct one one:
        http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/du...2d4c12307a2539
        Select this file: epson-inkjet-printer-escpr2_1.1.27-1lsb3.2_amd64.deb
        The model then shows up in my driver list:
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210226_085141.png
Views:	1
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	645064

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
          That is the scanner driver, not the printer driver.

This is the correct one one:
          http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/du...2d4c12307a2539
          Select this file: epson-inkjet-printer-escpr2_1.1.27-1lsb3.2_amd64.deb
          The model then shows up in my driver list:
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]9322[/ATTACH]
          The good news is, thanks to your instructions I was able to install the printer driver and load the correct printer. The problem is that it is not printing the test page at all. The job shows up in the printing queue as "pending" for Status and "Rendering completed" in Status Message.

Edit: it doesn't go beyond that, it is stuck in "printing" without completing the job.
          Last edited by JonathanTA; Feb 26, 2021, 01:35 PM. Reason: Additional information

Comment

Originally posted by JonathanTA View Post
            The good news is, thanks to your instructions I was able to install the printer driver and load the correct printer. The problem is that it is not printing the test page at all. The job shows up in the printing queue as "pending" for Status and "Rendering completed" in Status Message.

Edit: it doesn't go beyond that, it is stuck in "printing" without completing the job.
            I dunno.
            You have not mentioned which version of Kubuntu you are using. While in this case it probably is not necessarily relevant, it might be useful to know.
            Nor have we asked how the printer is connected.

Normally, a USB connected printer should be auto-detected, and the correct driver selected (once one is available) . usually with no need to manually select a driver.
            So it may be worth turning off or disconnecting it, removing the entry from System Settings, then reconnecting the printer or turning it back on. After a few moments, it should show up in the printer setup automatically, npw that you have the driver installed.

if not connected via USB, you could attach a screenshot of what you are seeing in the printer area
            Here, I have selected the 'add a new printer' option

Name:	Screenshot_20210226_144600.jpg
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	645065

Comment

Then I do know that I didn't use a USB connection for the printer. As for that other information (besides the screenshot) how do I obtain it to make your life easier for this problem?

Edit:
              P.S. once this is solved, I do intend to make a final post as a complete tutorial with all relevant factors to make EPSON printers work properly (printer and scanner).
              Last edited by JonathanTA; Feb 26, 2021, 02:01 PM. Reason: Additional Thought

Comment

The printscreen key on your keyboard.
                A screenshot tool will open where you can save the shot or take a new one with custom settings.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Comment

A screenshot tool will open where you can save the shot or take a new one with custom settings.

Kubuntu v20.04.2.0

Name:	Printer Settings.jpg
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	645068

These are my current printer settings.

Comment

Not sure what I am doing wrong with this printer installation. Can't seem to get it working properly even with instructions given so far.

Comment

About this issue/Gut Feeling

Yes, this is a thread bump. However, this isn't the first time I have had this issue using virtualization software. I wonder if the virtualization software ("VMWare") is preventing communication with my printer, even with the printer driver installed correctly in Kubuntu OS.

Comment

I have installed the correct drivers and the prints dialogs do show my ET-3760 as one of the options, but there is no signal being sent to the printer. No idea what could be causing it other than being in Virtual Machine.

Comment

Would any one care to continue helping me solve this issue?

Comment

What I did when I set up Kubuntu, I went to package manager and installed:

Epson Inkjet Printer Driver (ESC/P-R) for Linux

printer driver for Epson Inkjet that use ESC/P-R

I am using my printer on the network cable, and on USB for Vbox Windows.
                            Linux since 2008, Kubuntu 20.10
                            *ASUS 970 PRO GAMING/AURA AM3+ AMD 970 + SB 950 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1
                            *AMD FX-8370 with AMD Wraith cooler Vishera 8-Core 4.0 GHz (4.3 GHz Turbo)
                            *G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 SDRAM -- Asus GEFORCE GTX 1050 TI 4 GB

Comment

Working...
                            X