This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Installation] Can't get version 20.04.2 to run

This is a new thread to continue the first version. i was advised to open this as there's a technical issue due to server update.

derekc23
    Thanks for all your help.
    I did some experimenting:
    In the first post I mentioned I had a working 'normal' ubuntu on, lets call it disc A.
    I had tried unsuccessfully to install kubuntu to disc B.
    So I tried 'normal' ubuntu on disc B. That failed with the same error.
    I then tried kubuntu on disc A. It worked!! So I am assuming that Ubuntu of either flavour doesn't like disc B!
    I really love the new version - I've now got to play with it to understand the differences in layout etc, compared with the previous version.

When I start Kubuntu from the Boot menu I get a grub menu first with various options including advanced options and memtest - is this normal as it didn't occur with 'normal' ubuntu?

My only problem now is that I have disc B with the unusable version. I'm assuming that I can't just reformat this as it has links to the MBR on the master disc?

I want to use FFmpeg to join large numbers of TIFFs produced by a video enhancing program, using Nvidia GPU acceleration. Any advice on this? It would be nice to find a ready to use version with the acceleration, but I assume that doesn't exist.

Sorry for lots of questions!

Originally posted by derekc23 View Post
    I had tried unsuccessfully to install kubuntu to disc B.
    So I tried 'normal' ubuntu on disc B. That failed with the same error.
    I then tried kubuntu on disc A. It worked!! So I am assuming that Ubuntu of either flavour doesn't like disc B!
    When I start Kubuntu from the Boot menu I get a grub menu first with various options including advanced options and memtest - is this normal as it didn't occur with 'normal' ubuntu?
    The presence of the memtest option suggests this is a BIOS/MBR install. Are you familiar with the differences between the old legacy BIOS/MBR and UEFI? Booting the installer in the wrong mode can cause confusion and failures.

Without some specs about your computer it's hard to give advice. And it would be helpful to have some details about "failed with the same error", if only for some future searcher with the same error.

My only problem now is that I have disc B with the unusable version. I'm assuming that I can't just reformat this as it has links to the MBR on the master disc?
    I suggest you run (in a konsole)
    Code:
    findmnt --real
    and check if disc B is being used. Conceivably grub on disc A is running Kubuntu on disc B, but I wouldn't expect that.
    Regards, John Little

Comment

Thanks for reply.
      I’m aware of the differences of the two installations but not sure how to ensure that it starts in UEFI. The computer is custom built and only a couple of years old so definitely UEFI.
      Would I already know if the wrong installation has caused any problems?
      I will try the console check when I can.
      Thanks again for your help.

Comment

Thanks for reply.
        I?m aware of the differences of the two installations but not sure how to ensure that it starts in UEFI. The computer is custom built and only a couple of years old so definitely UEFI.
        Would I already know if the wrong installation has caused any problems?
        I will try the console check when I can.
        Thanks again for your help.

Comment

Working...
        X