Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I make all files and folders look the same in Dolphin?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Other] How do I make all files and folders look the same in Dolphin?

Issue:
    Viewing my files and folders in Dolphin it looks like hidden files/folders are 'dimmed' compared to normal files/folders. This seems to persist regardless of which theme or color scheme I try, which tells me it's a setting rather than a theme feature.

What I want:
    I would like for all files/folders, normal and hidden to appear the same.

What I'm willing to try:
    I've been using Linux for 20 years, but haven't used KDE since around 2006. I'm comfortable with editing files in the terminal and have no problem working with system files.

What I've tried:
    I've looked through the System Settings to find a way to make hidden files/folders appear with normal lighting instead of dimmed but I didn't see any setting for this.

System:
    Kubuntu 20.04.
    Dolphin 19.12.3

Not sure it is possible, this is a 'feature', and one that goes back at least for the 20 + years I have used KDE.

As far as I can tell so far, this would require editing the source code and rebuilding from that. Not even sure which part(s) would be involved.
    I'd have thought there would be some sort of config file option one could use, but it does not appear so.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
      Not sure it is possible, this is a 'feature', and one that goes back at least for the 20 + years I have used KDE.

As far as I can tell so far, this would require editing the source code and rebuilding from that. Not even sure which part(s) would be involved.
      I'd have thought there would be some sort of config file option one could use, but it does not appear so.
      Thank you for your reply! Well, that is disappointing, I do wish some developers would stop treating end users as if we either can't read the "." in the file name or we're just too dumb to know the difference between hidden and normal files - some of us are actually intelligent enough to study computer programming in more than one language. Oh well, it was worth a shot.. at least now I know this isn't due to a setting that I missed somewhere.

On a more positive note.. this was the only thing I could find wrong with Kubuntu 20.04, and that says a lot.

Comment

Well, there's no accounting for taste... personally I quite like the feature, it gives me a "quick take" on the folder.
        I must say I use "Details view" mode for just about all of them.

If it's any help. Krusader doesn't have that, and it's not a bad file manager.

Comment

Originally posted by Don B. Cilly View Post
          Well, there's no accounting for taste... personally I quite like the feature, it gives me a "quick take" on the folder.
          I must say I use "Details view" mode for just about all of them.

If it's any help. Krusader doesn't have that, and it's not a bad file manager.
          Hey, I remember commander-style file managers from many years ago, nice idea. I'll check out Krusader today and see how it fits needs. Something tells me I'll be switching soon. Thank you very much!

Update: After using Krusader for a few minutes.. yep, switching!
          Last edited by Guest; Feb 17, 2021, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Open Dolphin. Right click on the folder you want to change. Select properties. Click on the folder icon. A dialog appears. Search for "stock_folder". Click on it. Click OK. Do that for each folder you want to change. While you can use Shift+CtL while selecting more than one folder the dialog that appears does not allow changing the folder icon. I don't know of a way to change more than one folder at a time.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
              Open Dolphin. Right click on the folder you want to change. Select properties. Click on the folder icon. A dialog appears. Search for "stock_folder". Click on it. Click OK. Do that for each folder you want to change. While you can use Shift+CtL while selecting more than one folder the dialog that appears does not allow changing the folder icon.

I don't know of a way to change more than one folder at a time.
              Thank you for the idea! It's not just folders, it's also the hideen files (dotfiles) in my home folder. There are too many of them to change each one, I've switched over to Krusader and the issue is gone. But, thank you for your time and effort

Comment

I asked about the same feature shortly after I started using Dolphin: https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...lor-in-Dolphin

I'm now not bothered by the difference any more. I tried Krusader but found it a bit too much.
                Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

My favourite two-pane command line file manager is Midnight Commander. It's the Linux version of the ancient Norton Commander.
                  Constant change is here to stay!

Comment

Midnight Commander is a free cross-platform orthodox file manager. It was started by Miguel de Icaza in 1994 as a clone of the then-popular Norton Commander. Later, Icaza decided to follow the money after losing the battle to get mono (.NET) added to the Linux library and crossed over to the Dark Side. He said he uses the MacOS for his computer. His latest blog talks about "Swift", Apple's software language. However, he has been working for Microsoft since 2016, when MS bought his company, Xamarin.
                    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Removed it and installed Krusader... That's better!

Mono? Bah, humbug, that was always the first thing to get the boot on my systems! These days it's Snap and Flatpak that goes! :-)

Comment

Mono? Bah, humbug, that was always the first thing to get the boot on my systems! These days it's Snap and Flatpak that goes! :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Beerislife View Post

Krusader is pretty nice! Yep, snap and flatpak are the first things to go on my systems too. Years ago it was mono and anything java - though I've warmed up to Java and began learning to code there.

Comment

Have you tried different icon sets? The one I use, and have used forever, makes the distinction less dramatic. Oh, they're still shaded/dimmed, but they're very clear and obvious, too.
                            Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Originally posted by DoYouKubuntu View Post
                              Have you tried different icon sets? The one I use, and have used forever, makes the distinction less dramatic. Oh, they're still shaded/dimmed, but they're very clear and obvious, too.
                              No, I haven't even thought to try icon sets as a way to resolve this issue. I will try different sets and see what I can find. Thank you for the idea!

Comment

Working...
                              X