X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Internet] wlan not working

hello,
    i m new to linux in general. i have very old 32bit laptop and i installed kubuntu 18 and almost everything i need on it. it was working perfectly for a year. around the new year i was checking some settings on my router (ping over internet) and when i restarted i lost internet connection. then i returned changed parameter on router over tablet, but internet on kubuntu still didn?t work. then i tried something over konsole, but since i don?t know what i m doing i obviously made bigger problem than it is. i asked one guy to help me over internet, he told me to write few commands in konsole and he said that i deleted some drivers.

https://ibb.co/Y2vmjVd
    https://ibb.co/6tNvhMf

then he told me to reinstall the whole system, but i would like to avoid new installation of everything and i want to keep all my data, if i need to reinstall the whole systems whenever some driver is not working properly than i m not gonna use it.

cable internet connection works, if somebody can show me over team viewer how is it done super, if not maybe someone can guide me over messages here.

ps. i also noticed that every time i turn on system without cable connection i get notification ?connection (name) deactivated? ?wireless interface (wlp20e0) no secrets are provided?. i m pretty sure that this wlp20s0 is new, i think it was wlan0 before.

since this is my only computer that has internet access every help is much appreciated.

wlp20s0 is correct nowadays, since 18.04 was new, kernels have changed how the networking hardware is named. Not sure when this happened, but even though 18.04 is a bit older now, it does still get more current kernels every so often.

A tip:
    it is easier to copy and paste the Konsole text into your post than to take pictures. Easier to read, etc.
    It would also be very helpful to know the exact commands you were directed to use.
    From your image, you have an Intel Wifi card, which would not need any driver installed or removed, as it is included with the kernel , so knowing what you did would be useful here.
    In Konsole, you can use your up and down arrow keys on your keyboard to cycle through your past commands, if you don't recall what you were directed to type in.

notification connection (name) deactivated? wireless interface (wlp20e0) no secrets are provided
    This is perhaps saying that the wifi does not know the password, or it is incorrect.

What you might try is going into your network connections, either via System Settings or the applet on your system tray.
    Try deleting the current wifi connection, and then going back to the system tray applet, and try connecting to your SSID again, which should then prompt you for a password.

Comment

omg that actually worked, i m so stupid �� thank you so so much, i have internet again �� thank you, thank you, thank you

those are the commands that i entered:

dmesg | grep iwl
      sudo modprobe -r iwlwifi
      sudo modprobe iwlwifi
      lspci -nnk | grep 0280 -A3
      rfkill list all
      iplink
      lshw -C network
      sudo gedit /etc/network/interfaces
      sudo ifconfig wlp20s0 up
      sudo apt-get install net-tools
      ip link set wlp20s0 up
      iw dev wlp20s0 link

did i messed up something with that?

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoRebel View Post
        omg that actually worked, i m so stupid �� thank you so so much, i have internet again �� thank you, thank you, thank you

those are the commands that i entered:

dmesg | grep iwl
        sudo modprobe -r iwlwifi
        sudo modprobe iwlwifi
        lspci -nnk | grep 0280 -A3
        rfkill list all
        iplink
        lshw -C network
        sudo gedit /etc/network/interfaces
        sudo ifconfig wlp20s0 up
        sudo apt-get install net-tools
        ip link set wlp20s0 up