Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Noveau defaults itself after every update.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Graphics] Noveau defaults itself after every update.

I have been using Kubuntu on a different computer for a while and I decided to install it on my new computer, which has an RTX 3060 Ti. However on the initial installation I was left with no display and had to download the Nvidia driver via startx, then I installed it via the command line. However, this happens again after every single update, and I am convinced that the error is caused by Nouveau as it appears as the active driver when I check it. How do I make it default to the proprietary driver after updating?

I am running Kubuntu 20.10.

If you are not using official Ubuntu driver packages for your Nvidia drivers, you have to reinstall them after every kernel update. The OS supplied packaging sets things up to rebuild and reinstall the driver with each kernel update.

You can install them from the command line

Code:
    sudo ubuntu-drivers autoinstall

But you do have to completely remove the manually installed driver completely first.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Comment

Okay, I ran the command and for some reason I lost all internet and sound after rebooting. What do I do now?

Comment

This is probably unrelated to the video driver install, not knowing what steps you took to remove the self-installed driver , etc, or what the output of the command showed.
        it is probably from a recent kernel update/upgrade that seems to be breaking sound and networking for some. Try booting to a previous kernel via the grub menu.

Comment

Working...
        X