Sound card not detected by Kubuntu after hardware change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Sound card not detected by Kubuntu after hardware change

After changing my PC (but keeping the hard disk with Kubuntu on it) I noticed the sound stopped working in Kubuntu. My 2 speakers and headphones are not working. I looked into it and I believe the problem is that Kubuntu is not detecting my sound card for some reason. My pulseaudio shows no output devices besides Dummy Output, and the command sudo aplay -l gives me:
    aplay: device_list:274: no soundcards found...

I tried a few things I read online. I've uninstalled and reinstalled
    pulseaudio but nothing happened. I used the command sudo modprobe snd-hda-intel, but that gives me
    modprobe: FATAL: Module snd-hda-intel not found in directory /lib/modules/5.8.0-36-generic
    I tried lspci | grep Audio and its output was
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset High Definition Audio Controller (rev 04)
    01:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation GP107GL High Definition Audio Controller (rev a1)
    I tried lsmod | grep audio and it had no output. I have no idea what any of those commands do, they're from online.

I don't think there's a hardware or connection problem because when I boot windows on the same machine the sound works perfectly. I am definitely a new guy so any help is appreciated.

Here is information about my system and PC:

Kubuntu release: 20.04
    Version of KDE: KDE plasma version 5.18.5
    Grub version: grub-install (GRUB) 2.04-1ubuntu26.7
    Operation systems installed: Windows 10 pro 64 bit, and Kubuntu

Type: Desktop
    CPU Intel core i-7 4790 CPU @3.6 GHz (64 bit)
    GPU NVIDIA GP107 [GeForce GTX 1050 Ti]
    RAM: 8GB
    HDs: 1 internal SDD with 250 GB where both systems are installed, 2 internal HDDs with 1 TB each.

If I didn't provide enough details let me know.

Kubuntu is currently broken; the 5.8.0-36 generic kernel is missing the sound drivers, so sound just won't work at all.

As a temporary work-around, I edited the command in grub to load 5.4.0-60-gerenic kernel instead, by pressing 'E' on the grub screen. I guess maybe there is a way to make this permanent, so you don't need to edit it on every boot, but I'm not sure how to do that yet (nothing in /etc/default/grub mentions the kernel version to load).

Comment

Kernel:
      Code:
      inxi -S
      System:    Host: john-HP-ENVY-x360-Convertible-15m-ed1xxx Kernel: 5.8.0-36-generic x86_64 
                bits: 64 Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.19.5 Distro: Ubuntu 20.10 (Groovy Gorilla)
      Audio works just fine here. VLC is laying my tunes, TEAMS let me listen to (and watch) work meetings. So, yeah, works well.
      The next brick house on the left
      Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

So I fixed the problem thank to this thread. All I had to do was install the missing modules with the command:
        sudo apt install linux-modules-extra-5.8.0-50-generic

Now the sound works with the latest version of the kernel so I don't have to load a different version every time. I'm kind of surprised such important modules are left out of the latest versions. Is there a reason for this?

Thank you MartinB105 for the advice. Without your help I would not have known what was wrong.

Comment

Like so much else in the Linux landscape, "free" as in beer is hard to attain.
          The next brick house on the left
          Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

Working...
          X