Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Getting the right drivers after cloning a Dell laptop to an HP laptop

Hello
    My first post here.
    I was using Kubuntu 19.10 on a Dell Inspiron laptop.
    I had to return it to my former employer, so I bought an H.P. laptop.
    I used Clonezilla to move everything from the Dell to the H.P.
    It worked fine, I have almost everything running just as it used to run, except for two details:
    - the Bluetooth is not available, not recognized, whatever
    - the screen resolution is not what it was, the windows and characters look bigger.

I asume that the drivers in use are the Dell ones, and I should use the H.P. ones instead.
    ¿How can I solve this?
    Thansk in advance.

First, welcome to KFN. Second, I moved this thread, as posting in 18.04 when your using 19.10 is, well, not cool. 19.10 is EOL (End of Life) and no longer supported. Be that as it may, we will attempt to assist as we can.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

The drivers won't be 'brand' specific per se, they will be specific to the actual hardware in the machine. Most drivers are actually included in the kernel itself, as well, already available.
      Normally, this means that even with a cloned OS from one computer for the most part will Just Work on another system.
      I will suspect that you have a wifi/bluetooth card that does not have a free/open source driver on your new laptop, or some other issue specific to that hardware.

We would need some info about your specific hardware to be able to tell, hopefully, what is missing or needed. A specific, full laptop model name and number will help.

As to the video, have you looked at your monitor settings to see if they can be changed? it is possible that the previous laptop's size and resolution setting carried over to the new one, which has a different size/resolution.
      Also, without knowing anything about your previous system, if you had an Nvidia graphics card in it, and had installed their proprietary driver, this could create some issues.

So, along with specific laptop model and number, we can get some easily from the terminal:

For Bluetooth:
      lsusb | grep Bluetooth

For video card, if you can't change screen settings in System Settings:
      lspci | grep VGA

And we can move on from there

Any info on the old laptop may be useful, if you still have any about it.

Comment

Thanks a lot for that quick answer.
        The model I have right now is an HP Laptop 14-dq1059wm

As I said, almost everything is working just fine.
        The old laptop did not have an Nvidia graphics card. It usesd the provided one, I mean, the one that came out of the box. I shall search for the information, since I am afraid it will be quite difficult to get information on that particular machine. It is a Dell Inspiron 14 3000.
        In the tech specs (a PDF document I found here: https://dl.dell.com/topicspdf/inspir...uide_en-us.pdf) I see that the "Wireless Module" (which includes WiFi and Bluetooth) is a Qualcomm QCA9565 (DW 1707).

Here is what I get when running the lsxxx commands

martin@Dir-Sistemas:~$ lsusb
        Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
        Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0408:5365 Quanta Computer, Inc. HP TrueVision HD Camera
        Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0458:0186 KYE Systems Corp. (Mouse Systems) Wired Mouse
        Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

and

martin@Dir-Sistemas:~$ lspci
        00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Device 8a12 (rev 03)
        00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Device 8a56 (rev 07)
        00:04.0 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Device 8a03 (rev 03)
        00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Ice Lake-LP USB 3.1 xHCI Host Controller (rev 30)
        00:14.2 RAM memory: Intel Corporation Device 34ef (rev 30)
        00:15.0 Serial bus controller [0c80]: Intel Corporation Ice Lake-LP Serial IO I2C Controller #0 (rev 30)
        00:15.1 Serial bus controller [0c80]: Intel Corporation Ice Lake-LP Serial IO I2C Controller #1 (rev 30)
        00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation Device 34e0 (rev 30)
        00:17.0 RAID bus controller: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile SATA Controller [RAID mode] (rev 30)
        00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Device 34bf (rev 30)
        00:1d.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Ice Lake-LP PCI Express Root Port #9 (rev 30)
        00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Ice Lake-LP LPC Controller (rev 30)
        00:1f.3 Audio device: Intel Corporation Device 34c8 (rev 30)
        00:1f.4 SMBus: Intel Corporation Ice Lake-LP SMBus Controller (rev 30)
        00:1f.5 Serial bus controller [0c80]: Intel Corporation Ice Lake-LP SPI Controller (rev 30)
        01:00.0 Network controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. Device c822
        02:00.0 Non-Volatile memory controller: Micron Technology Inc Device 5410 (rev 01)

I can live with the vidoe resolution as is right know. It is set to 1366x768 and I guess it was 1920 x 1080.
        But maybe, just as Snowhog suggests, I have to upgrade to a newer version ? Or download and rebuild a kernel ?

Once again,. thaks a lot.

Comment

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06696169

Your new laptop only supports 1366x768 max.

Code:
          [B]01:00.0 Network controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. Device c822[/B]
          Assume WiFi is working properly?
          You may want to look at the Driver Manager and see if there is anything offered for the wifi/bluetooth, Realtek stuff can be anywhere from well supported to poorly supported, or somewhere in between.

Upgrading/installing a supported, recent release probably will probably improve support, either by having a built-in driver, or one available via the Driver Manager.

lspci -knn | grep Net -A2
          This will dig a little bit further on the specific chipset for the card, which may lead to more useful search results.

Comment

I suggest downloading 20.04 or 20.10, writing it to a USB, and booting the laptop from it, and see if the bluetooth and video work properly. If they do, a fresh install might be an option, though reinstalling all the software the Dell may be a lot of work. Don't be shy of an install, it does not take long, but reinstalling and reconfiguring may be not so.

You could use btrfs to advantage here; it should be possible to copy the Dell install into subvolumes, and make it bootable from there. But that might be a few learning curves too far.
            Regards, John Little

Comment

Thanks! Here are my answers...I will probably try with a newer version as suggested, too.

Your new laptop only supports 1366x768 max.

OK, I will survive

Code:
              [B]01:00.0 Network controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. Device c822[/B]
              Assume WiFi is working properly?
              You may want to look at the Driver Manager and see if there is anything offered for the wifi/bluetooth, Realtek stuff can be anywhere from well supported to poorly supported, or somewhere in between.

WiFi is working fine, Driver Manager just does not seem to be working. It just says "Gathering information about your system", and stays there...

Upgrading/installing a supported, recent release probably will probably improve support, either by having a built-in driver, or one available via the Driver Manager.

lspci -knn | grep Net -A2
              This will dig a little bit further on the specific chipset for the card, which may lead to more useful search results.[/QUOTE]

$ lspci -knn | grep Net -A2
              01:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. Device [10ec:c822]
              DeviceName: Realtek Wireless LAN + BT
              Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device [103c:85f7]

Comment

WiFi is working fine, Driver Manager just does not seem to be working. It just says "Gathering information about your system", and stays there...
                Sometimes this can take a looong time to finish, but it could be broken, on 19.10

I second jlittle on booting a live session of 20.04 and/or 20.10, and see if bt is working there, usually it is the wifi that is the issue with these, can't see any useful info on Bluetooth anywhere yet.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                  Sometimes this can take a looong time to finish, but it could be broken, on 19.10

I second jlittle on booting a live session of 20.04 and/or 20.10, and see if bt is working there, usually it is the wifi that is the issue with these, can't see any useful info on Bluetooth anywhere yet.
                  OK. I used a 20.04 live USB, and Bluetooth works fine.
                  So, next step would be upgrading from 19 to 20
                  I don't understand (yet) why my system is not suggesting an upgrade, but that is another question, and probably already answered.
                  Thanks a lot for your help.

Comment

Probably because the repos for 19.10 were moved, and general updates were stopped back in August?

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FocalFossa/ReleaseNotes/Kubuntu
                    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FocalUpgrades/Kubuntu

But upgrading from EOL releases can be trickey, maybe needing some extra steps mtp prepare first:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EOLUpgrades#Upgrading

Comment

Now, I am a firm believer in upgrading vs clean installs, specifically with with non-LTS upgrades ( 6 months cycle), but doing so from an EOL release that has been EOL for a fair bit of time seems to be much more prone to problems, so ... caveat emptor .
                      A fresh start is probably a safer, saner path to take.

Comment

Getting the right drivers after cloning a Dell laptop to an HP laptop

Hi there!

I just wanted to let you know that I have just uprgaded to 20.04 and it is working fine.

Thanks a lot!

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                        Probably because the repos for 19.10 were moved, and general updates were stopped back in August?

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FocalFossa/ReleaseNotes/Kubuntu
                        https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FocalUpgrades/Kubuntu

But upgrading from EOL releases can be trickey, maybe needing some extra steps mtp prepare first:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EOLUpgrades#Upgrading

Comment

Cool!
                          Glad it has gone well.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                          X