This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Errors] Modifying Dapper Drake for Live CD

Hey guys. Sorry this is "one of those" for now, I'd like to learn more about KDE anyway as a starter for Linux use. Anyway, I have an issue that I'd like to try and solve. I have other relevant knowledge that could help me do this myself if there are any pointers to be made.

So I want to run Kubuntu 6.06 (x64), for reasons many but among them just optimizing VM possibilities (Tying in removable media options) with the Live CD option, instead of doing it the "normal" way. Needless to say, my computer requires unique drivers to make some of the hardware work, as proven by the failure to doa few basic things (Or so I thought). Kaffeine says the Audio Drivers aren't installed and Konqueror can't load a page period. I feel like I can get more than these two problems addressed, in that other freeware could also be installed for a mostly offline experience.

I hope that makes sense. Basically all I want to do is boot from CD and go ham for fun as is. If I can squeeze in the install of other free tools and/or fully update the Live CD, that's awesome too. As per the rules, here are the specs:

=========================

What release of Kubuntu you are using.
    6.06 LTS (Dapper Drake)

If Kubuntu is installed, is it installed 'inside' of Windows (Wubi installation).
    Windows 10 is installed on the primary HDD, Kubuntu will not be installed (For the moment)

What version of KDE you are using.
    It would arguably be the same one installed in the distro online here (Index of /releases/kubuntu/6.06.0)

What version of Grub you are using.
    Same answer as above

What other Operating Systems are installed.
    Windows 10 (x64)

Information about your PC:

Type (Desktop or laptop)
    Desktop (HP Pavillion Elite, Model #: HPE-510F)

CPU (Central Processor Unit) make (Intel, AMD, ?) and whether 32-bit, 64-bit, or ?
    AMD Phenom II X6 1055T

GPU (Graphics Processor Unit) manufacturer and model
    None yet, none planned (Onboard VGA)

RAM (how much installed)
    1x 4GB DDR3

HDs (number of and type internal - number of and type external)
    1x 500GB HDD (Magnetic, internal)

Optical Drives (number of and type internal - number of and type external)
    1x HP BDDVDRW CH20L
    1x Memory Card Reader

=========================

Like I can tell already, this isn't for the newb. But I'd honestly like to try and be up for the challenge. Windows is getting boring, 10 isn't so bad I suppose but this just sounds fun. If there's probably no help at all, let me know!
    Last edited by MattPidlysny; Dec 12, 2020, 12:09 AM. Reason: Added other details

First, welcome to KFN.

You are asking for assistance on a no longer supported version of Ubuntu/Kubuntu, a version that reached EOL over eleven years ago. You are not likely to find any help with what you are wanting to do. Just saying.
    Last edited by Snowhog; Dec 12, 2020, 02:09 PM.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

My first thought, is why a 14 year old OS, on 10 year old hardware, in terms of overall hardware support?
      A version slightly newer than the hardware will have better support, imo.

Without more clear specifics as to why Dapper is preferred or needed, or what 'unique' drivers' are needed, it will be hard to give recommendations or assistance.
      My now-dead HP 6000 with a 2009 core 2 duo was running 18.04 just fine, with onboard graphics and 4Gb ram. before it kicked the bucket of course. AMD processors and graphics are well supported for some time.

Comment

Yeah, I figured y'all would say that. Still though, how would I begin? Is Dapper Drake unable to do that thing I'm thinking?

Comment

Not completely clear on what you want to do, tbh.

No idea if any of these will work on 6.06, though you may find documentation that is from that era that will work. I am thinking that there have been changes to how the live isos are created, and the tools and options used, that won't work on OG *buntu isos.

There is also the option to use 'persistence' though this is not really ideal, as it can't update the system. Though there won't be any updates anyway, lol. it is mainly for saved files, desktop settings etc, and does not in my experience work very reliably for installing software, and less so for drivers, etc. Double that if it is running from a re-writeable cd/dvd Agai, not sure if this is valid for 6.06.

Another possible option, maybe the best, if it appropriate and the system supports it, is to physically install 6.06 to a USB stick, or any external drive for that matter. Not simply create a bootable install disk. Then you can modify to your hearts content.
          https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...SB-Flash-Drive
          Luckily, this process is pretty much the same in concept and steps required today as it was way back when.

I still think that there will be at least some driver issues running a 2006 kernel on 2010 hardware.

Dang, I used to have most, if not all, the CDs that Ubuntu would send out, going from 5.04 all the way to 11.10, maybe 12.04. They were quite colorful.

Comment

Yeah, I might get a different version. Still, thanks for the content, I'll be using that Cubic program if it can work for what I'm doing for updated applications and/or other content. If it doesn't do the same for Kubuntu, I'll just keep looking. Thanks again.

As for drivers, if one was available for a Windows PC, and I had the files, can they be adapted to the Linux system, or would I need to find a way to get the updated drivers from a newer build of Kubuntu somehow? Will that attempt crash it, like I'm predicting, or just run the hardware like normal? Thanks again, this is all about information piracy online, and using 6.06 is like a clever way to prevent those intrusions by airgap. I know, nobody else goes through that kind of control, but when you're like me, you can't just download Kubuntu and expect it to come through as it was stored online. Ever. You wouldn't understand but I don't expect you to, it's just a security precaution through obfuscation.

Comment

Originally posted by MattPidlysny View Post

As for drivers, if one was available for a Windows PC, and I had the files, can they be adapted to the Linux system, or would I need to find a way to get the updated drivers from a newer build of Kubuntu somehow? Will that attempt crash it, like I'm predicting, or just run the hardware like normal? Thanks again, this is all about information piracy online, and using 6.06 is like a clever way to prevent those intrusions by airgap. I know, nobody else goes through that kind of control, but when you're like me, you can't just download Kubuntu and expect it to come through as it was stored online. Ever. You wouldn't understand but I don't expect you to, it's just a security precaution through obfuscation.

Drivers, well no. Well, mostly no. Windows drivers don't work on Linux. And taking a more recent Linux driver and porting it to an older kernel, it depends.
              And by that, for a new user, I mean no, you can't.
              If the new driver supports the old kernel (often not), the source code for the driver at the very least will need to be patched, then compiled (which entails installing all the tools, util, and systen library development files required), then troubleshooted when it won't compile. Lather, rinse, and repeat. Good way to learn how to use the terminal, though Compiled drivers, or installable packages for them, won't work outside of the general kernel they were built for. A majority of drivers are already included with a kernel, so there are few drivers that come with separate packages, and those that do again won't work or install outside the kernel/distro version it was made for.

Don't assume we don't understand, that seems a little condescending. By offering options or seeking clarification, or pointing out something, we are not necessarily disagreeing, or even trying to steer in any direction. There are probably 6720.6 ways to skin the cat here, and possibly only 1.6 that fit your needs

Heck there probably is a distro or mini-iso or something that already has most of what you need ootb.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                Don't assume we don't understand, that seems a little condescending. By offering options or seeking clarification, or pointing out something, we are not necessarily disagreeing, or even trying to steer in any direction. There are probably 6720.6 ways to skin the cat here, and possibly only 1.6 that fit your needs

Heck there probably is a distro or mini-iso or something that already has most of what you need ootb.
                I'll look for it. I apologize for being negative earlier, I have to dance with morons daily and I can't help my emotional state at times. Thankfully, God prevails.

Honestly, though, I feel like I'm on the right track. Like I said, this is about information piracy occurring on my machines wherever they pop up. It's just a constant follow, no escaping. Thankfully that has saved my life in the past by averting targeted assassination plots. I'm a problem for the cults, and now they need to get rid of me. That protection status changed last year into a target and stifle operation (Real PSYOPS). With this modified package, I can work offline and still do what I need. I can access whatever from wherever, offline. All it takes is time.

If you could redirect me to any other resources online that can help me identify potential kernel issues with existing driver sets (Basics, I could Google search but I prefer the techie support). Seems like I'll need to brush up on some programming too, if I'm going this hard on the whole thing. Thanks again, bro, and sorry for seeming negative. My life is in shambles and I'm trying my best to help out everyone else with this distro mod.

Comment

Sorry to double post, I think I get the basics but just want to confirm a few things:

- If I do a few things with assembly programs, like hex editing, what kind of compiled output (Coding, Table or Pointer data, &c.) am I going to find?

- Any recommended programming language starts other than Python?

Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
                  X