This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Discover fails to open link from apps.kde.org

Hi, my second day with Kubuntu. I've tried to install the Kup backup scheduler from apps.kde.org which states...
    "This button only works with Discover and other AppStream application stores. You can also use your distribution's package manager."
    So i click the button and Discover opens but it reports error "Sorry... could not open appstream://org.kde.kup.desktop"
    I then tried a search for Kup within Discover but no joy.
    I'm guessing I've drunk too much coffee and missed something obvious. Would someone enlighten me about how to add more apps developed specifically for KDE please?!

Many thanks

Kubuntu 20.10
    HP Omen 17"-144Hz
    i7-9750H(12)2.6/5.0GHz - 16GB Ram
    500GB M.2 NVMe & 2TB EVO SSD
    i630/8GB GeForce RTX 2080
    Last edited by Mark357; Nov 30, 2020, 03:53 PM. Reason: Typo

it is possibly a bug in the version of Discover in your Kubuntu version.
    it works on KDE Neon, which has the current version.
    Kup also shows up in searches for me, but Neon package this one themselves. The Package in *buntu is actually not packaged by them at all, it is a direct Debian import, and may be missing the appstream metadata that allows it to be shown in Discover.
    Try searching for 'backup' and see if it is there, else you will need to install it manually.

Code:
    sudo apt update
    sudo apt install kup-backup

Comment

Welcome to the wonderful worlds of Kubuntu and Kubuntu Forums, Mark357!

In addition to @claydoh's excellent suggestion, if you'd prefer to install it using a GUI, not command line, try my favorite package manager, Synaptic. In Discover, search for "synaptic" and then choose "Synaptic Package Manager." Once that's installed and open, you can adjust its settings so its display suits you, and then dive in and start installing things. In my opinion, it's far superior to other package managers, but the beauty of Linux is CHOICE. So if you're not a fan of something, no problem! Try something else.

In Synaptic, search for "kup" and it should bring up a few choices; choose "kup-backup" and install it. That should do it. If not, let us know!
      Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

In Discover it is labeled KDE Plasma Desktop - Backup Status, you can find it by searching for KUP

Comment

Originally posted by Fred47 View Post
          In Discover it is labeled KDE Plasma Desktop - Backup Status, you can find it by searching for KUP
          The OP already did that
          Originally posted by Mark357
          I then tried a search for Kup within Discover but no joy.
          , which is why I suggested a different search term. I like Discover, for what it is, but the search is not consistent.

Comment

I use a specific logic for some Linux tools that manage software products and packages.

For broad system-wide updates: sudo apt update sudo apt full-upgrade

For installing or removing specific parts where I know the package name: sudo apt install <package name> sudo apt remove <package name>

For installing or removing specific parts where I don't know the name, but know what it is or something about it: Synaptic

For general searches where I am simply curious, and maybe am not even looking to install something: Google or Discover

Discover is not very useful for me, except in one area - notifications. I can count the number of times that I have ever used Discover to install something, or to perform an update, on one hand, with one of the fingers used as a counter.
            The next brick house on the left
            Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

It is not clear to me that kup-backup is shown in discover as KDE Plasma Desktop - Backup Status, that is why I suggested it.

Comment

Firstly a big thank you to you all for your quick response & pointers. The idea that such an important KDE component like Discover could be faulting or buggy persuaded me to install KDE Neon this morning for a comparison drive around the block. Discover works there as expected, I would have been quite surprised if it didn't. But Neon doesn't have driver manager and discovering that installing it doesn't work left me configuring graphics drivers.. meh. So having strayed for a day I'm back with and intend to stay with Kubuntu. I've installed Synaptic which is a breeze to use.
                I'm certain with more coffee & patience together with an occasional kick to my ankle from the helpful folk here I will come to appreciate Kubuntu every bit as much as I enjoyed using Mint. Cheers everyone!

Comment

Excellent news, Mark357! I'm glad you like Synaptic, too. Its layout and choices just seem so much easier, and more comprehensive, than Discover or other stuff.

Just in case you don't know, even though you're using KDE, programs made for GNOME (with 'g' in their names, like gParted) generally work just fine on KDE, too. You didn't ask, I just thought you might like to know!
                  Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Working...
                  X