Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kubuntu 20.04 - Why can't a non-admin user have new widgets?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Widgets] Kubuntu 20.04 - Why can't a non-admin user have new widgets?

Hi, I am a newbie on Kubuntu (20.04.1). I am the 1st user (with admin rights) on a 2-user install. I downloaded the widget shutdownOrSwitch.plasmoid from kde.org, installed it and placed it in the panel. It works, terrific!

My 2nd user (no admin rights) can download it, but not install! He does
    the long left-mouse-klick on the desktop > add widgets > Install New Widget from Local File (exactly as I did)
    no error reported but the widget is not installed as seen in the Widgets list (the big one to the left of the screen, with all the widget icons and their names). Try as I might I cannot install the plasmoid for him. And it is so easy when I am logged in as myself!

Are non-admin-users on a multi-user-system not allowed to have new widgets/plasmoids?

Thanks, kubucub
    Last edited by kubucub; Oct 28, 2020, 02:58 PM. Reason: marked as solved

That should not be happening. Widgets are downloaded and stored to the user's own home directory, so no admin privileges are used at all.
    Have you tried installing it using the normal method of using the "download New Widgets' options? What about any other widgets?
    Did you just copy your downloaded file from your account (possible permissions related, if the file is owned by your user account) or did they download it themselves?

if you really want to dig in, and installing the widget in the normal manner does not work, you can open Dolphin to the folder with the downloaded file, hit the f4 key to open a terminal and type the following command:

plasmapkg2 -i shutdownOrSwitch.plasmoid

And copy/paste any error message you see.
    Last edited by claydoh; Oct 28, 2020, 11:44 AM.

Comment

Thank you so much claydoh, your command did it
      Code:
      Successfully installed shutdownOrSwitch.plasmoid

Comment

Originally posted by kubucub View Post
        Thank you so much claydoh, your command did it
        Code:
        Successfully installed shutdownOrSwitch.plasmoid
        So, using the Download New Widgets did not work?. Using that feature grabs the exact same file from the exact same website and runs that exact same command.
        But then again, so does the 'install from file' option. Another thought was that the download was bad. The KDE-store website is known to be flaky, and quite regularly so. Though it has improved greatly since KDE themselves have become involved with it.

Comment

Sorry, I clarify: I downloaded the widget with Download New Widgets and then used your command in my Download directory.

Comment

Working...
          X