This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[System] Bluetooth and kernel updates

Hello, I've been using Kubuntu for a while, it's amazing and enables me to do more things than windows ever would. But now that I finally started building my own pc, things started to get weird.

I got a bt dongle that I expected to run both on windows and linux, because the last one I got would not run on win10 at all. That said, this new model isn't being properly recognized in linux. Notice the PROPERLY.

That said, I went to reddit to seek some help, and someone pointed that the hardware in dongle in question is actually being recognized, I'd only need some updates and drivers.

Problem is, Kubuntu isn't -exactly- ubuntu. I'm not sure if I can update some things at all. Most importantly, there is no groovy gorilla version of Kubuntu yet, right? I don't think I need to stress with that, but the kernel part really is making me worry. The idea is that upon updating the kernel to 5.8, I should be good to go with the dongle.

Here's the reddit thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/linux4noobs...ly_a_headache/

Is the mentioned method going to work for Kubuntu or would I just bork something in it if I did?

-------------------

edit: The kernel 5.9.x has some buggy stuff with BT drivers, it's working fine on 5.8.x!
    Last edited by Yanazake; Nov 07, 2020, 08:52 PM. Reason: Found out the issue

Kubuntu Groovy Gorilla is out of beta or will be out very shortly, if you want to look for it. There are plenty of Groovy Gorilla discussions here on KFN, and this link confirms that both a Realtek driver and a firmware update are needed.
    The next brick house on the left
    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Here's one discussion.
      The next brick house on the left
      Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Alright, I just want to make sure a kernel update would work fine.
        Using methods 2 or 3 from this link

Comment

I was able to update the Kernel, but the system still can't detect this BT dongle. Can anyone help me with that?
          Code:
           Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0bda:8771 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. Bluetooth Radio
          It's a BTA-508 with a RTL8761B chip.
          My kernel is up to 5.9.2 thanks to Ubuntu Mainline kernel installer, but I can't activate this thing.

Comment

Working...
          X