X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installation Help Notes

Hi Everyone,

I am about to make the switch from FC3 to Kubuntu. FC was just too slow in getting KDE integration ready (makes sense as they are a GNOME distro) and crashed often after an update (e.g. OpenOffice hasn;t worked since my last upgrade)...so here I am.

I intend to install Kubuntu next week, but I have one thing that I find very frustrating already: The lack of a SINGLE guide to get the "extras" set up in one sitting. Fedora Core Community was VERY good at the set up for boneheads like myself.

What I am trying to find for Kubuntu is a document similar to:

http://stanton-finley.net/fedora_cor...ion_notes.html

It seems I have to search the forums in one spot for Java, another for the source.list, somewhere else for Mplayer, and so on.... If there was an analogous document to the one above, I KNOW this would be a HUGE benefit for the home end user.

Doing all the steps does take time, which I am not afraid of...Not knowing what and where to search for these hints, not to mention the order, is an added pain....

I hope this was the proper forum for this post (I joined today). Is there somewhere to notify the documentation and/or developer team of something like this? It just seems to be a real bonus for noobs (and boobs) like myself.

Cheers,

t.
    GPG Key ID# 0x3AE05130

Re: Installation Help Notes

may be you are looking for this http://kudos.berlios.de/kf/kf1.html
    cheers!
    -=|From the desk of|=-
    «•´`•.(*•.¸(`•.¸ ¸.•´)¸.•*).•´`•»
    «•´¨*•.¸¸whoiam55.¸¸.•*¨`•»
    «•´`•.(¸.•´(¸.•* *•.¸)`•.¸).•´`•»
    Reg. Linux User # 400637

Comment

Defintely looks good! Thanks for directing me there...

Cheers,

t.
      GPG Key ID# 0x3AE05130

Comment

I may have spoken too soon...the "preference" and "source.list" are all for Hoary...I hope to install Breezy. I have found synaptic a great tool in the past, assuming you have all of the main repositories for the extra goodies.

What will I have to do to modify the source.list and preference files for Breezy??

I assume the GNU keys are the same still....

Thanks again,

t.

GPG Key ID# 0x3AE05130

Comment

Working...
        X