This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Initial boot - app windows open off-screen

...at, least, I thought they were "off-screen". Actually, the first boot had two screens configured, both at 1920x1200 and both named "Laptop Screen". I used Alt-Spacebar to bring up that little search window (?) and typed Display Configurations which, thankfully, brought up that config window on the left-hand screen (as even the System Preferences window shot over to that second screen when called from the main menu) and found the second screen positioned to the right of the first. I took a chance and deleted that second (right-hand) screen. That seemed to resolve the issue.

Why did this happen? I suspect that my laptop (a 17" 2011 MacBook Pro), which has both motherboard Intel graphics and a discrete graphics card (AMD Radeon HD 6770M) fooled Kubuntu into thinking my machine had two actual screens (one for each graphics chip/card). Of course, all the graphics hardware is wired into the one screen (unless an external display is connected and, then, is it operating with lid-open or clamshell?; thankfully, I'm not going down that rat hole).

Anyway, I thought it might be helpful to post this in case other newbies encounter this issue. It was almost a deal-breaker right from the start but I hate to admit defeat. Google is your friend.

Barry

I should mention that I have no clue which video circuitry is being used for the current (only) screen. Perhaps there's a terminal command that might display this info.

Comment

Working...
    X