X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[LAPTOP] Macbook pro 2009 wont wake up after sleep

Hi

I have recently returned to Linux after a 20 year hiatus.

I am trying to repurpose a 2009 MacBook Pro with 8 Gb of ram and a 1 TB SSD. I have tried various distributions (UBUNTU, KUBUNTU, OpenSUSE, POP, ElemementaryOS, and many others). I love KDE for its power and GUI. I got WIFI and other systems working and everything is working fine except for the SLEEP/SUSPEND mode.

The only distribution the SLEEP/SUSPEND works correctly is OpenSUSE but I don't like their YaST and other proprietary systems. So I know there is a solution for this hardware configuration.

BTW I have tried bot NVIDIA propietary graphics and the nouveau drivers with similar results.

Thanks in advance for any help provided

Luis

Well, what is it that it does incorrectly?

Does it not suspend? Resume? Do you have a swapfile/partition, and how big?

Comment

Hi

Thanks for your reply

It seems to go into SUSPEND (Screen turns off, apple logo turns off, etc..) but it never wakes up (doesn't RESUME) after opening the lid again or pressing the Power on/off button or pressing any of the keys on the keyboard. I know the machine is still running because in order to reboot I have to manually power it off by holding the power button for 10 seconds and you can hear the speaker "click" when it powers off. After that I press the power button once and it starts with a fresh boot and going into the GRUB menu.

I have tried it with SWAP partition and with SWAP file. It doesn't seem to be related. SWAP size I have used is 2 Gb.

Luis

Comment

Swap is only used for hibernating (suspend-to-disk) which is disabled in *bubntu, so that won't effect sleep.

Sleep is highly defendant on the hardware, and while there are many search results relating to the topic, I cannot say which solution is the one that will work on the unknown Kubuntu version you have.
        You might need to install the proprietary Nvidia graphics drivers if you have not already done so. This often fixes suspend issues in general, I think.

Also, fwiw, openSUSE's Yast has been open source for at least 15 years now
        Also fwiw, all the other OSs you list are actually Ubuntu, so it is not unusual for these all to exhibit the same symptom you have.

Comment

Originally posted by laoporrantia View Post
          ... I know the machine is still running because in order to reboot I have to manually power it off by holding the power button for 10 seconds and you can hear the speaker "click" when it powers off...
          In principle, that doesn't mean the OS is running or even the processor is powered. At least on some hardware, that's handled by something on the motherboard.
          Regards, John Little

Comment

HI here is the update. I reinstalled the NVIDIA driver and the computer now seems to go to sleep and resume. BUT the NVIDIA driver gives me some random lines and artifacts (sometime the lower part of the screens shifts around one inch to the side) in the bottom of the screen (maybe one inch high from the bottom of the screen is affected).

So in conclusion the sleep problem seems to be related to the nouveau driver.

Any ideas on these screen artifacts?

Thanks

Luis

Comment

Working...
            X