X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] No longer able to start Discover from Application Launcher

Hello
    Another newbie here ; hope this is posted this in the appropriate section.
    Installed Kubuntu 20.04 with KDE 5.18.5 on an Intel NUC8i3BEH
    Everything worked fine.
    Installed more RAM in my NUC
    Now unable to start Discover from Application Launcher.
    Other apps start normally from the Application Launcher.
    What I have tried:
    sudo apt-get install plasma-discover
    That didn't fix it.
    Does anyone know why increasing RAM would cause this problem?
    What do I need to do to fix it, please?

I doubt if increasing the RAM would have anything to do with it. Conceivably the new RAM is flaky, but I'd expect that to give random failures, not a specific one.

You may have struck this bug, supposedly fixed in 2018, but the maintainer has added a comment a week ago mentioning "people seem to keep reporting it".

Starting "plasma-discover" from a konsole might reveal something, but getting a lot of horrible messages is (lamentably) normal. If you can, copy and paste the messages in a post here in tags.

You can use konsole to get updates, to get out of the catch-22 when Discover, the tool to get updates, needs updating. The commands are
    Code:
    sudo apt update
    sudo apt full-upgrade
    However, on 20.04 my last update to plasma-discover was in May, and I presume you've updated since then. Discover is the newbie-friendly software source and updater, but you don't have to use it; many of us in KFN (this forum, kubuntuforums.net is too long) don't. I like muon, but it doesn't do the categories as nicely as Discover.
    Regards, John Little

Comment

Open a terminal and type

Code:
      plasma-discover
      And see what happens

Comment

Many thanks for your reply.
        I've made a note of the code to get updates via the command line.
        Code:
        ron@rdh-NUC8i3BEH:~$ plasma-discover
        ron@rdh-NUC8i3BEH:~$ sudo plasma-discover
        [sudo] password for ron: 
        QStandardPaths: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR not set, defaulting to '/tmp/runtime-root'
        qrc:/qml/Feedback.qml:2:1: module "org.kde.userfeedback" is not installed
        invalid kns backend! "/usr/share/knsrcfiles/ksysguard.knsrc" because: "Config group not found! Check your KNS3 installation."
        adding empty sources model QStandardItemModel(0x55d6a4d09ac0)
        org.kde.plasma.discover: couldn't open file "/root/.cache/discover/featured-5.9.json" "No such file or directory"
        org.kde.plasma.discover: couldn't open file "/root/.cache/discover/featured-5.9.json" "No such file or directory"
        kdeinit5: preparing to launch '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libexec/kf5/klauncher'
        kdeinit5: Launched KLauncher, pid = 2408, result = 0
        Connecting to deprecated signal QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QString,QString,QString)
        kdeinit5: opened connection to :0
        kdeinit5: Got EXEC_NEW '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/plugins/kf5/kio/http.so' from launcher.
        kdeinit5: preparing to launch '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/plugins/kf5/kio/http.so'
        org.kde.plasma.libdiscover: Couldn't find a category for  "fwupd-backend"
        kdeinit5: Got EXEC_NEW '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/plugins/kf5/kio/file.so' from launcher.
        kdeinit5: preparing to launch '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/plugins/kf5/kio/file.so'
        kdeinit5: Got EXEC_NEW '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/plugins/kf5/kio/http.so' from launcher.
        kdeinit5: preparing to launch '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/plugins/kf5/kio/http.so'
        kdeinit5: Got EXEC_NEW '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libexec/kf5/kconf_update' from launcher.
        kdeinit5: preparing to launch '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libexec/kf5/kconf_update'
        kdeinit5: PID 2435 terminated.
        kdeinit5: PID 2412 terminated.
        kdeinit5: PID 2418 terminated.
        kdeinit5: PID 2421 terminated.
        PackageKit stopped running!
        ^C
        ron@rdh-NUC8i3BEH:~$
        I will try muon.

Comment

Does plasma-discover run without sudo?

Comment

It runs just fine without sudo.
            It spews out a silly amount of warnings, and then runs just fine... well, as fine as that things runs anyway ;·)

With sudo, you get even more warnings, and it runs just the same.

Comment

boxcorner, do yourself a favor and uninstall Discover. Use the two Konsole commands given in a previous post to do updates, otherwise use muon.
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

@GreyGeek, good advice on Discover. I also find the older Synaptic package manager to be better then Discover.
                Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.7, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

I was going to mention synaptic but decided muon was perfect.
                  "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                  – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by boxcorner View Post
                    Code:
                    That appears to be the error that crashes discover. The directory /root/.cache/discover only exists if discover has been run as root, and discover tells me "Running as root is discouraged and unnecessary". If you get that error starting discover from the Application Menu then discover is confused about its cache.

I suggest deleting the cache with rm -r ~/.cache/discover. (Generally, stuff in .cache can be deleted, and it gets regenerated.)

Maybe also the one in /root/.cache, but that would have to be run as root and wielding rm -r as root must be done very carefully, a stray space can be a disaster; I've done that, I admit shamefully.
                    Last edited by jlittle; Jun 29, 2020, 02:58 PM. Reason: improve clarity
                    Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by Don B. Cilly View Post
                      It runs just fine without sudo.
                      It spews out a silly amount of warnings, and then runs just fine... well, as fine as that things runs anyway ;·)

With sudo, you get even more warnings, and it runs just the same.
                      The question was directed at the OP. It wasn't clear if discover crashed without sudo.

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                      I was going to mention synaptic but decided muon was perfect.
                      Isn't synaptic a dying project that's no longer maintained? Ubuntu no longer installs it by default. Muon would be my choice for graphical package management, but it doesn't show you the nice software "store" like discover.

Comment

No, plasma-discover does not run without sudo.

Comment

Okay.
                          What do I need to so to unistall Discover?

Comment

How do I install muon without Discover?

Comment

Thanks.
                              So, I tried
                              Code:
                              [FONT=Monospace]ron@rdh-NUC8i3BEH:~$ rm -r ~/.cache/discover
                              ron@rdh-NUC8i3BEH:~$ 
                              [/FONT]
                              Discover still does not work.

Comment

Working...
                              X