Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Windows10 / Kubuntu dual boot a security issue?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Windows10 / Kubuntu dual boot a security issue?

Hi folks,

I'd like to setup a dual boot system with Windows10 and Kubuntu 20.04

Windows will be used for music production with all network connections disabled. Windows partition will be bitlocker encrypted.
    Kubuntu will be used for all other stuff, surfing, office, and everything that needs an online connection. Kubuntu partition will be encrypted as well.
    One shared NTFS Partition will be set, for access in both OS. Here are only media files stored, no executables or system files.

I am the only user of the machine.
    Are there any security issues with my configuration?
    Does presence of Win10 open any security holes to consider?

Thank you for all info

no, and
    no

Encryption on a drive has little effect on an OS security, in general, as it has to be decrypted in order for you to use it. It just keeps people with access to the physical drive from seeing the contents when it is not in use. Once decrypted, it is just like an unencrypted drive.
    Windows and Kubuntu are only as much a security issue as you have allowed them to be, thought Linux ostensibly is more secure out of the box (Privacy, of course, is definitely NOT a normal Windows feature ootb)
    An OS on one drive/partition can't effect the other, as it is not running when you are booted to something else. heck, Windows can't read the standard Linux ext4 file system without third party addon/drivers, so it would be very difficult for Windows to do anything you Kubuntu.
    on the other hand, you can easily muck up Windows if you go messing around with Windows system files etc from Kubuntu. But that is neither security or privacy related Of course, if the OS partition is not decrypted, then this is not an issue either way.

Comment

Working...
    X