X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Installation] Kubuntu 19.10 doesn't boot after installing

Hi!

Have Windows 10 on my PC. Installed Kubuntu 19.10. Only Windows 10 is booting. Started Kunbuntu from flash card. And used commands:

sudo mount /dev/sda5 /mnt
    sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt /dev/sda

On screen:

Installing for i386-pc platform.
    grub-install: warning: this GPT partition label contains no BIOS Boot Partition; embedding won't be possible.
    grub-install: warning: Embedding is not possible. GRUB can only be installed in this setup by using blocklists. However blockists are UNRELIABLE and their use is discouraged..
    grub-install: error: will not proceed with blocklists

And still only Windows 10 is booting.

Can you give me some advice?

Originally posted by Alexander123 View Post
    Hi!

Have Windows 10 on my PC. Installed Kubuntu 19.10. Only Windows 10 is booting.

More info is needed:
    Are you seeing the boot menu where you can choose Windows or Kubuntu?
    Have you checked your bios to see if Kubuntu is the first boot device?
    How did you create the installation media? It may be that you booted the installer and installed in the legacy bios/mbr mode, as opposed to the gpt/EFI mode that your system is using. The installer boots to either, but some disk creator tools don't always do this properly, or your flash card slot does not or cannot boot in EFI mode like a USB stick can. You might look at disabling any legacy boot options in your bios settings.

Started Kunbuntu from flash card. And used commands:

sudo mount /dev/sda5 /mnt
    sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt /dev/sda
    Are these the only commands you used? Where did you find these steps? if this is an appropriate process to fix the issue, there are a good number of steps missing here, such as mounting the EFI partition.

On screen:
    Installing for i386-pc platform.
    grub-install: warning: this GPT partition label contains no BIOS Boot Partition; embedding won't be possible.
    grub-install: warning: Embedding is not possible. GRUB can only be installed in this setup by using blocklists. However blockists are UNRELIABLE and their use is discouraged..
    grub-install: error: will not proceed with blocklists

And still only Windows 10 is booting.

Can you give me some advice?

The above seems to indicate that your sd card is booted into legacy/bios mode.
    Last edited by claydoh; Feb 05, 2020, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X