This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Connecting Kubuntu to a Synology NAS

Hi, how can I mount my Synology NAS? I did some research and from what I understood I have to:

1. create a shared folder in my NAS and give it the NFS file system

2. install nfs-common in my Kubuntu, right?

3. create a directory to mount the shared folder into; but will this take up disk space? or is it just the 'mount' only?

4. edit my fstab to mount the shared folder on startup; but if I did step 3, do I still need to do step 4?

Thank you.

Hi,

1) That's correct. In your Synology Enable NFS Services.
    In your shared folder go to Edit -> NFS Permission, choose to Add or Edit, choose the following:
    Hostname or IP: You could use * or in my case, I used a mask: 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0
    Squash: No mapping... Otherwise, you will have to Map to an existing user in your Synology and your Linux box, they must have to have the same UID
    Security: SYS
    Mark Allow connections from non-privileged users. If you won't use this, then you need to change the "Squash" and Map to a user with the same UID in Synology and Linux.

2) Correct

3) Yes, we need to create a folder that will be used as mount point. No disk space will be used, just a couple bytes

4) Yes, you need to configure fstab to automatically mount at startup. You can do it manually though.
    If you using a wired network, then I recommend using fstab.
    However, if you're using a Wifi, like a laptop which takes a little longer to connect, or wake-up from sleep, then fstab won't work. In such case I recommend using autofs.
    This is the scenario that I have. My Wired Intel Nuc, I use fstab and my laptop, I use autofs, which is helpful on re-connections.

Hope this helps
    Rodrigo

Comment

Working...
    X