Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[System] How to open excusable files with wine?

Hi, I'm very new to Kubuntu. But I have little experience withLinux mint and fedora. Yesterday I installed Kubuntu and everything perfectly working. I want to open some windows excusable files. So Iinstalled wine and also PlayOnLinux. But my question is, it not give a right click option to open with wine.
    But other distros have double click directly open with wine, or otherwise right click context menu open with wine. So how to configure a option on Kubuntu .exe open with wine?

I've been using wine on Kubuntu for some seven years and it always had wine as a default application to open .exe (recognised as DOS/Windows executable files).
    Anyway, right-clicking should give you Open with (default choices) or Open With... [select application], and that gives you a choice to set it as default for that extension.

Click image for larger version

Name:	winech.png
Views:	1
Size:	13.0 KB
ID:	644452

Comment

Thanks you. But my wine installation have a problem. because it is not in Right click menu. I tried to, locate and set path to open with as you shown in screenshot. But it is have few categorizes, did't have wine. In windows i can easily locate program and set it. But i am completely new to this, so i have no idea where is wine located in on kubuntu.

I checked in bash - konsole wine --version it give this output wine-4.0.2 (Ubuntu 4.0.2-1)

Comment

I've logged in specifically to respond to this thread. I made the choice, over 15 years ago, to never run files which are Microsoft Windows(r) based. That was done out of a sense of extreme distrust in both that company and their Operating Systems.

I do see where some people don't believe that they have that choice, whether because of lack of familiarity with the Linux OS or because their employer still requires the use of Windows. Remember that you still (maybe, perhaps) have freedom of choice in our current world. Bite the bullet and get on with the surgery.

In the past, when I was making the transition from Windows XP to Linux, I too used Wine, because I thought it would make my life easier. I was wrong about that, but that is my personal opinion and you're welcome to disagree. I encourage you to work harder at making the transition to a Non-Windows computer environment (Linux recommended). Ask on this Forum if you run into questions on how to do this.

I also encourage you to look very closely at the Linux Foundation and what is happening there with Microsoft. It is Not good. It is also politics.

Finally, in a humorous side note, I think the OP meant to say "executable" rather than "excusable". I don't think Microsoft may (or should) be excused, ever.

Re Microsoft: Beware, here lie Dragons
        Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.8, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Thanks. (I am noob) I am hardly trying to get rid on windows.Because they going to stop updating windows 7. And I can’t go forwindows 10. Honestly I hate windows 10.

Comment

Then I think you are doing the right thing. There are those who will disagree and try to lure you back into the Windows swamp. Keep swimming and do ask for help on this forum.
            Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.8, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Originally posted by Nextuser View Post
              But it is have few categorizes, did't have wine.
              Interesting. What categories? Meaning applications, I guess.

And yes, excusable files is quite nice :·)
              But I would say they can be excusable - to use under Linux - in some cases, even if they... pertain... to an inexcusable... entity ;·)

Comment

Ohhh my!! sorry I always used excusable for excuteble, in auto correction on browser. OMg

Originally posted by Don B. Cilly View Post
                Interesting. What categories? Meaning applications, I guess.

And yes, excusable files is quite nice :·)
                But I would say they can be excusable - to use under Linux - in some cases, even if they... pertain... to an inexcusable... entity ;·)

Comment

Well, that's very excusable ;·) but... which applications does your filemanager suggest for .exe files?
                  I'm curious.

Also, if you choose Open With, you get a window like this, right?

Name:	Screenshot_1209_192716.png
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	644453

type wine, tick Remember association...

If that doesn't work, you can try:
                  System settings > Personalization > Applications > File associations.

Name:	Screenshot_1209_193308.jpg
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	644454

Comment

@Nextuser

Welcome to Kubuntu and Linux in general. When you start getting a little more comfortable with Kubuntu, maybe you could ask here about programs that do the things you did before in Windows. There are some really good music players, word processors, video editors, picture editing, file browsing, web browsing, and most anything else you may want to do.

We've all been there, and figured out how to do many different things in Linux and Kubuntu! Have fun with it
                    The next brick house on the left
                    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Name:	Screenshot_20191208_221122.jpeg
Size:	10.0 KB
ID:	644460Thanks.. I tried this but i think i have to set up wine path. Click image for larger version

Name:	s2.jpg
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	644459
                      Last edited by Nextuser; Dec 14, 2019, 08:25 PM.

Comment

Try just pressing Enter after typing wine.

Comment

Working...
                        X