This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Creating a blank side panel

i just added a blank panel on the leftside of my desktop and want to pin specific items to it. i'm not seeing any way to send items to it instead of the main panel at the top. what i'm looking to do is keep konsole, ksysguard, and dolphin pinned to the top panel, and pin vivaldi, vivaldi-snapshot, thunderbird, to the panel on the left. i'd also like to shrink the length of the sidepanel. i could not see installing a dock for just 3 to 5 icons. thanks

kubuntu 19.10 64 bit
    plasma 5.17.2
    kernel 5.3.0.19

Add what you want to the additional panel, just as you would the main panel. Remove any items on the main panel you don't want. Simple as that.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

The issue may be pinning as opposed to having a launcher button for a program. To pin you need to add a task manager widget to a panel, but I'm not sure how having multiple instances on a desktop behaves.

As to resizing, there are sliders for position, height, and width when you open the panel's config option - via right click or the three-bar hamburger menu at the bottom of your side panel.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
        Add what you want to the additional panel, just as you would the main panel. Remove any items on the main panel you don't want. Simple as that.
        um not as simple as that or i'd have it done.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
          The issue may be pinning as opposed to having a launcher button for a program. To pin you need to add a task manager widget to a panel, but I'm not sure how having multiple instances on a desktop behaves.

As to resizing, there are sliders for position, height, and width when you open the panel's config option - via right click or the three-bar hamburger menu at the bottom of your side panel.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk
          so the panel will have to have it's own task manager if i want to pin items? i'd like to avoid that. all i really want on it is what i mentioned. i don't care if it's a launcher or a pinned item as long as i only have to have my specific icons and nothing else on it. cause rather a launcher or pinned they should look the same. not seeing anyway to do a launcher though.

Comment

Then just drag an application to it from the kmenu and you're all set

Another option may be to add the third-party latte dock to it, which iirc should allow for pinning. Of course this highly popular add-on may take some tweaking
            Last edited by claydoh; Nov 01, 2019, 03:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
              Then just drag an application to it from the kmenu and you're all set

Another option may be to add the third-party latte dock to it, which iirc should allow for pinning. Of course this highly popular add-on may take some tweaking
              i truly hate working in linux and windows at the same time. forget certain simple things. the dragging from the kmenu does the trick, and befor i forget again i did finally notice the sliders. thanks alot, got it now.

Comment

something like this

except my default panel is still at the bottom , using the "icons only" task manager , the "konsole , firefox , and system settings " are "pined" to the task manager and the blank panel was added to the right side and the "launchers" just "dragged and dropped" from the menu onto it .

VINNY
                i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                16GB RAM
                Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by Grave Digger View Post
                  i truly hate working in linux and windows at the same time. forget certain simple things. the dragging from the kmenu does the trick, and befor i forget again i did finally notice the sliders. thanks alot, got it now.
                  OOPS you must have posted this will I was hitting post

VINNY
                  i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                  16GB RAM
                  Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

@vinnywright most likely yes. i'm happy with how it turned out. it's not fancy, but it does the job. simple blank panel, a handful of programs, shrunk down to a decent size, and set to auto hide. reason i wanted that was played with latte and cairo and liked neither.

Comment

Working...
                    X