Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it possible to upgrade Kubuntu using the installer from USB?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Installation] Is it possible to upgrade Kubuntu using the installer from USB?

I want to upgrade my system but I don't want to do it over the internet. Is it possible to burn a USB stick, run the installer, and upgrade my existing Kubuntu?

Thanks.

unfortunately, no.
    The installer is mainly copying an image of the OS to the drive, and there are not many actual packages on the disk, so it cannot upgrade the OS, and definitely not whatever extra software you installed afterward.

Comment

https://danie1.me/2019/01/14/how-to-...y-for-offline/

I suspect that the technique, which was commonly used years ago, will work for Kubuntu as well.

Do you have a fast enough bandwidth to do the job? The meta data along is 2GB, which isn't much by today's standards, unless you are on a cruddy ISP that maxes out at 20Mb/s.
      Last edited by GreyGeek; Oct 29, 2019, 12:41 PM.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by Computer semi-expert View Post
        I want to upgrade my system but I don't want to do it over the internet. Is it possible to burn a USB stick, run the installer, and upgrade my existing Kubuntu?

Thanks.
        No matter how you do it, you will still be downloading data via the internet. In my opinion, it will be much more efficient to just use the built-in update process.
        The next brick house on the left
        Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Working...
        X