This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black screen in Kubuntu 19.10 installer after grub

I was able to install on my laptop today (Intel+Nvidia). Unfortunately, it's not working on any of my other machines.

My desktop with an RTX 2080 Ti is giving me nothing but trouble. I'm able to get to grub, then after attempting to load the installer from there, I get nothing but a black screen. I've tried nomodeset, nouveau.modeset=0. I remove quiet and splash and I never even get any text. The screen stays black no matter how long I wait. I tried on 2 other desktops, one with an RTX 2080 and another with an RTX 2080 Ti, same results. I pulled out the RTX 2080 Ti and tried a Radeon WX5100... Same results.

This was using the same USB media that succeeded on my laptop a few hours earlier, but I tried writing the image to another USB device and still got the same results.

On my desktop, I've tried booting with UEFI and legacy BIOS. Same results either way.

Did you check the iso's checksum, as written to the USB media? I used to be "yeah, yeah" when regulars here would chime in about checking the iso, but then a bad download happened to me somehow.
    Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
      Did you check the iso's checksum, as written to the USB media? I used to be "yeah, yeah" when regulars here would chime in about checking the iso, but then a bad download happened to me somehow.
      Yes, I did. That is definitely not the problem.

Comment

I would suggest trying Kubuntu 19.10 as this release included the new option to install the proprietary Nvidia drivers during OS installation .

Your problem is likely that the open source nouveau driver does not support your new GPU very well.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

Comment

19.10 is the release that gave us this problem. We also found it unsurprisingly occurred with the vanilla Ubuntu 19.10 installer as well.

But some good news... We found the fix yesterday... 2 of the 3 systems exhibiting this problem are using the Asus Rampage VI Extreme motherboard. It seems this problem only occurs with the 1902 BIOS. The previous version 1704 and the just released earlier this month 2002 do not have this issue. The 3rd system has an Asus ROG STRIX X299-XE Gaming motherboard and it 2 has a version 2002 BIOS on or around the same date, which I suspect will fix the issue there as well.

Looks like Nouveau isn't at a fault after all as now the 19.10 installer works even without the safe graphics option.

Probably the 1902 BIOS version broke something and/or the installer's kernel is misconfigured, etc for some edge cases..?

Seeing as how my install of 19.04 worked, I suspect it's a combination of the 2. It's worth noting that I do not recall if I installed 19.04 with the working 1704 BIOS or the problematic 1902 BIOS meaning this issue could have started potentially started prior to 19.10.

Thanks for the help, and hopefully this saves someone else the effort.

Comment

Glad you got it sorted!

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
            X