X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Settings] New Kubuntu user - With some post install problems

Evening everyone!

I've been playing around with Kubuntu 18.04 today as a sort of necessity since my regular install of Linux Mint is kaput due to a failing SSD, figured it was as good a time as any to try new things! I'm a regular Linux user (an experienced newbie) of both Mint and BunsenLabs but haven't really ever played with Kubuntu/KDE.

So far? I like it!

...with a couple caveats

First and most pressing, video preview thumbs.
    I've installed both ffmpegthumbs and kffmpegthumbnailer and turned on previews for videos in Dolphin's settings, as well as raising the "skip previews for files larger than" setting to 4gb and of course hit the "Preview" button at the top.

Previews do indeed work for local files just fine. Except nearly everything is accessed via SAMBA on an OMV server, and that's the problem. Remote video and picture previews WILL NOT work, regardless of how much I swear.

Second issue is more of a silly one.
    My fancy "K" (three dots with a >) application launcher icon you get with some of the desktop themes? Has changed into a grid (think that is the "no icon" icon), is there a way of getting it back? I've installed a "candy" icon set and a "sweet" theme from the list of extra themes/icons, but apparently this doesn't have an icon and I would like to use the one from Breeze/Breeze Dark. I've scoured the /usr/share/icons folder for it but am either blind, looking in the wrong place or it isn't there.

After spending half the day with Kubuntu/KDE I am pretty tempted to make the switch away from Mint...if I can resolve the niggles!

Sui

::UPDATE::
    I think I've more or less fixed the remote thumbnails issue.
    Ended up being two problems.
    One, apparently 4GB is too big a number for Dolphin to handle as far as previews go. Dropped it down to 2GB and presto, previews! ...very slow previews.
    Checking the network settings it had auto set to half duplex at 100mb/s. Raising that to full duplex at 1000mb/s got thumbnails to load considerably faster.

Now...about my launcher icon...

Hi, you can get the original application menu icon back by clicking the 3 horizontal bars on the right side of the panel and then click on add widgets and a list will pop up on the left side of the screen and you can double click on the application launcher to get your K back.
    You can the move it to the place of your liking by pressing the bars again and dragging to the original location or one that you prefer.
    I personally don't make any changes to the default other than changing from breeze dark to breeze light cause it seems too easy to mess things up.
    Last edited by jberkpc; Nov 01, 2019, 01:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
    X