X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question regarding supported harware before buying a new pc

Hello,

I am new to unix as desktop and I want to use it instead of windows.

My main use cases are docker / minikube (running mongodb, redis, kafka, elasticsearch etc) and programming with dual screens.

Before buying a new pc I want to make sure that everything is supported, so I wont be disappointed.

This Specification Created @ www.tms.co.il - Professional and Reliable Computers Chain Stores

CPU:
    Intel Core i7 9700 / 1151 Tray
    Qty: 1 - Price: ₪ 1619
    CPU Cooling:
    Arctic Cooling Alpine 11 PRO Rev. 2
    Qty: 1 - Price: ₪ 53
    Motherboards:
    Gigabyte Z390 M
    Qty: 1 - Price: ₪ 527
    RAM Memory:
    DDR4 16G 3000 CL15 Corsair Vengeance LPX Black CMK16GX4M1B3000C15
    Qty: 2 - Price: ₪ 749
    Cases:
    be quiet! Case PURE BASE 500 Black
    Qty: 1 - Price: ₪ 291
    Power Supplies:
    ANTEC PSU 550W EARTHWATTS GOLD PRO
    Qty: 1 - Price: ₪ 310
    Solid State Drives (SSD):
    ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB NVMe M.2 2280 SSD
    Qty: 1 - Price: ₪ 659
    Total: ₪ 4207
    Price in Eilat: ₪ 3596

Will Compete with every offer or specifications in the Forums.
    The Prices are including VAT and for Credit card up to 12 equal payments.
    https://www.tms.co.il/78045

Do you think that it will work smoothly under kubuntu? do I need to change a part or manually install drivers?

Thanks,
    Nir

Hi
    thank you for considering kubuntu.

I'm just a hardware kinda guy and I tend to stay "a half or a whole" generation behind so that things are reasonably well worked out. Also, I tend to stay one release or a half of the cycle behind, again, so that compatibility issues can be worked out.

As far as Kubuntu is concerned it really does "just tend to work" except for bleeding edge hardware and "laptop speakers" etc.

It seems, from your post, that you are not going to be "playing intensive games" and are doing "coding type stuff"... well coding type stuff is easy to handle, it mainly depends on memory depending on what you are doing.

As to the "dual monitors" that should not be a big deal UNLESS your video card is absolute bleeding edge. i've run dual monitors at various times and at one time I was using one as a "landscape" mode and the other in "portrait" using a vertically oriented monitor. Again, I did not have a problem, but I was BEHIND the curve in terms of hardware and the OS so that "things had been worked out

The Intel is ok, my "gaming, music listening, video watching" rig is a two year old Intel with onboard video.

Quite often using an "off board" plugin video card, if it is bleeding edge, can cause problems but SINCE YOU DO NOT LIST A SEPERATE CARD.. I assume that you are going to use the onboard graphics which..."should" be ok.

Kafka is designed for "streaming" data so if that is VIDEO data then it can strangle a low power card if you are VIEWING the stream, if you are just "processing" it then any video card should do fine.

Kafka as the app is NOT in my Kubuntu repos, however there are several "support" apps for it, using Python, so that "might" be ok in terms of getting it to run.

minikube is NOT in the repos and there is no reference to it, so you would have to install it from other sources, that might be a simple thing of "adding a repository" or not, if you decide to actually try Kubuntu you might start another thread on the availability or workability of the apps in Kubuntu.

mongodb IS in the repositorieds and there seems to be a lot of support apps etc. for it.

docker and redis ARE in the repositories.

Elasticsearch is NOT in the repositories however there are several python modules for working WITH it so if you have the Apache liscence and can install it then things should be good to go.

So, to SUM things up.

Your hardware seems to be ok for running Kubuntu.
    Some of the python apps etc. you need are not actually IN the repositories but there IS support for the apps so the situation is then whether you have the command line capabilities to install the apps from another source or to ENABLE a repositiory which, in and of itself, is easy, it is basically adding it in the Synaptic app or doing it using a terninal.

So, as far as I, particularly, can recommend, it would "seem" that you are ok.

As a side note, the plasma desktop is VERY extensible as a "work" desktop it is very good at "windowing" if you have several "windows" running with "terminals" they should do fine with the rig since it is "just data"... and supposedly you are "analyzing" the data but not viewing and maybe "playing" the data if it is something like video.

HOWEVER, given all of the above, i would maybe wait for another person to pop in. if someone does not pop in within a few days then they proabably think that you are ok.

woodsmoke
    Last edited by woodsmoke; Oct 26, 2019, 03:01 PM.
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

due to weather i lost signal and greatly updated my post so if you previously viewed it you might scan over it for new comments.

woodsmoke
      sigpic
      Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Working...
      X