This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Install Ubuntu on windows 8.1, lost...

I'd like to change my OS from windows 8.1 to Ubuntu, but so far I've drawn a blank in how to do it. I don't want a virtual drive running Ubuntu, BTW...

Well, one piece of advice: don't.
    Install Ubuntu, that is. Install Kubuntu instead. Click image for larger version

Name:	grin.gif
Views:	1
Size:	182 Bytes
ID:	644353

As to "how to do it"... there are a zillion pages/videos/tutorials out there that will tell you.
    The short list is, get an ISO image, put it on a USB stick, boot from that, install to HD - alongside Windows.

Thing is, it is easier said than done, I'm afraid.
    What I suggest you do is- if you computer has a decent amount of RAM in it, say 8G+...
    Get Virtualbox/Vmware/whatever.
    Get a free pre-setup Kubuntu virtual machine from osboxes. Say 18.04.
    Just increase the default RAM size to about half of what you have. Play around with that for a while.

Comment

It's very simple. Download the ISO for the Kubuntu you want, burn it to a USB thumb drive, then come back here for discussion.

Quite honestly, the only possible complication is dealing with the BIOS, especially if it's a UEFI. But even that is not a terrible hill to climb, but we just want to welcome you and continue a conversation that begins here and now

If you want to REPLACE Windows, then don't install it alongside. It's just as easy to install IN PLACE of Windows.
      The next brick house on the left
      Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Working...
      X