This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu upgrade paths

I've been happily using Kubuntu 18.04LTS for over a year now. I'm setting up a new computer and am wondering which Kubuntu version I should use. Specifically, if I choose 19.04 or 19.10 is there an upgrade path to the next LTS release or will I face another complete re-install? I'd like to use the latest KDE, but not at the cost of losing all the tweaks a user ends up making to customize a system for maximum productivity. Thanks in advance.

I found this one , maybe this helps ?
    https://askubuntu.com/questions/1104...sion-of-ubuntu

Comment

to upgrade the distribution to the next release you use
      Code:
      [B]sudo do-release-upgrade[/B]
      to go to the next in development release
      Code:
      [B]sudo do-release-upgrade -d[/B]
      you want your current system in a fully updated state before doing it .

with
      Code:
      sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
      or
      Code:
      sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade
      you can install the 19.10 (it's almost done cooking) and then when the "20.04-LTS" comes out (it's next after 19.10) just "do-release-upgrade" up to it .

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

To help clarify, LTS releases by default won't prompt for any upgrades until the next LTS, though this setting can be changed.
        otherwise, you will be prompted for the option to upgrade every six months. You will not be forced to reinstall no matter which version you choose to install.
        Now, if you do install 18.04, and decide to upgrade to 19.10, you will NOT be able to jump directly there, you will have to go to 19.04 first, and then 19.10.
        LTS to LTS upgrades are the only way to 'skip' versions.

As to preserving your desktop settings, these usually are compatible with future releases for a long time, so they will carry over to new versions. Restoring a backed up $HOME, or having a separate partition for it preserve these customizations, so even a fresh install is not a major undertaking.

So, if you want to keep up with the latest Plasma, you really want the latest Kubuntu. If you are not too interested in the latest but want supported and stable Plasma, then LTS is the way to go.
        Or, go the KDE Neon route, and have an LTS base but with the latest Plasma etc as they are released, and only do an OS upgrade every two years.

Comment

I'd like to use the latest KDE
          Be sure to enable the KDE PPA
          https://launchpad.net/~kubuntu-ppa/+...untu/backports
          It will have newer KDE then the release provides.
          Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
          (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

https://help.ubuntu.com/lts/servergu...upgrading.html
            "LTS systems are only automatically considered for an upgrade to the next LTS via
            do-release-upgrade with the first point release. So for example 18.04 will only upgrade once 18.04.1 is released. If you want to update before, e.g. on a subset of machines to evaluate the LTS upgrade for your setup the same argument as an upgrade to a dev release has to be used via the -d switch."
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

On occasion, the path from one LTS to the next is a significant change, such as a major jump in the base software. When that happens, it is often easier to perform a clean install. And, from time to time a clean install is the only viable path to the next LTS - unless you are felling lucky.

I've found that as long as /home is on a separate partition, a clean install is extremely easy, and in my opinion is the best route from one LTS to the next higher LTS. As always, with any upgrade, backup you data and important configurations before starting.

This past weekend, on my laptop, I started with Kubuntu 18.04.2 LTS, and moved to Q4OS, then to MX18, then to Mint 19 in the matter of less than 2 hours while watching a football game. Why? That would be a reasonable question, but mostly it was curiosity. Kubuntu was too much for my old 32bit 2GB RAM laptop, Q4OS was unsatisfying, and MX18 was not much fun. That laptop has been on Mint 18 before, so Mint 19 wasn't much of a reach. It's a playground, anyway.

The point being that each one of those installs was "clean" and re-used /home while trashing and re-installing on the / partition. The installers were different enough to warrant paying attention, while none were terribly complicated. Clean installs are nothing to shy away from.
              The next brick house on the left
              Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Working...
              X