X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ACPI Bios error Bug - new install of Kubuntu 19.04

Hello

I made a clean install of Kubuntu 19.04 from a live disc made from a download of yesterday. The laptop (MSI GE60 2PE, 4 years old), boots into emergency mode.

There a few lines of error message related to ACPI, the first of which is:

[1.459968] ACPI Bios Error (Bug): could not resolve [\_SB.PCIO.GFX0.DD02._BC, AE_NOT_FOUND (20181213/psargs -330)

I did check 'download updates' during installation so I suppose everything is up-to-date. Searching on on other threads, I saw recommendations to update BIOS, but what I have is up-to-date. That message makes me think it is a known bug for which there is no current solution - is that correct?

I also read recommendations to switch off ACPI but also that doing that is not advisable for a laptop.

The other thing I am wondering about is disk failure - when I press CTRL-D from emergency mode and the disk check starts, it hangs at 70%. Yet it installed OK.

I don't know what to do from here, so any advice will be most welcome.

Thanks
    Dave

The errors you see may be unrelated to the problem, and whatever is visible on the screen may not indicate what the true issue is as multiple things are happening concurrently in the background.

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1610727 see comment 31. Basically they are harmless in most cases.

For the disk checking, how long did it run before you determined it hanged? It can take a while to fix if there are many errors, with no progress visible in the console, especially if it is a large spinning drive.

You might boot to a live disk and try running fsck (or using the partition manager tool) from that, and perhaps try another install if the drive is fine. Basic troubleshooting is to check the drive, then to create a fresh installer using etcher or Rufus, maybe even dowload the iso again, and skip the updates.

The installer basically expands a compressed image and blasts that to the drive, so even a tiny spot that isn't written correctly could cause problems if it is the wrong place. But there are probably too many things it could be that might drop you to recovery mode, so we start with the easy ones, which is bad media or borked install.

Comment

Thank you so very much Claydoh!

I followed your advice and ran fsck from a live disk, it found and fixed some errors, then re-installed Kubuntu skipping updates, all working fine, applied updates, still working fine.

Comment

Working...
      X