This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Installation] Live Media Won't Boot to Install

Trying to install 19.04 on a new Ryzen / X470 build. Already got Windows 10 on one SSD and want to put 19.04 on a separate NVMe drive and dual boot. So made a Kubuntu flash drive, fired it up and it gets as far as the Kubuntu splash screen, it 'glows' nicely and stops dead. Checked all the usual stuff in UEFI / BIOS and checked the disk using the option provided in the 'start Kubuntu' menu. Nada.

Decided to make a DVD disk using the ISO and had to hook up an old ATAPI DVD drive to the system, which worked great as I span up a few live disks as a tester. Put the 19.04 disk in and selected it and the same thing happened, gets to the splash screen and stops dead. The brief message I see are along the lines of:

Code:
    MODSIGN: Could not get UEFI db list
    Code:
    Initramfs: Unable to find a medium containing a live file system
    Decided to download KDE Neon ISO and see what that did so downloaded it and made a flash drive, booted up no problem, had a quick look around and decided to see if it would install. Yep, works. Chose the simplest option, the 'guided install' option and let Neon do it's stuff to see what it did. To my surprise it created a 512MB FAT32 UEFI partition and the rest EXT4 - I can actually access and view the windows drive through Dolphin, didn't expect that (this is all new to me).

Build is a regular parts off the shelf build, nothing too exotic:
    Asrock Taichi X470 (latest BIOS)
    Corsair Vengeance LPX
    500GB WD Blue SSD (windows)
    960GB Corsair MP500 NVMe (linux)
    RX 570

Puzzled, thanks.

My first thought would be that the download is corrupted, especially as both the USB and the DVD failed.

Neon is Ubuntu 18.04, and will behave the same as Ubuntu/Kubuntu 18.04 in terms of booting etc. Really, 19.04 should be identical in this Since Neon boots fine, this makes me think it is the downloaded file, assuming that the USB stick is the same one.

tbh, you won't see much of a difference between a minimal Kubuntu 19.04 and a standard KDE Neon. Neon won't have the Driver Manager, but with your hardware you won't have a use for it. We have many Neon users here.

But the issue at hand is definitely puzzling.

Comment

I agree with claydoh (again). Run sha256sum against the ISO image and compare to the value at the download site. Chances are the sums won't match - it happens. It's unlikely that the burn failed since you have done both a USB and a DVD burn. Two bad burns on two different media is unlikely - not impossible.
      The next brick house on the left
      Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Thanks for the replies, it seems to be a wider issue than that unfortunately:

KDE Neon works
        Partition Magic (latest) works
        Opensuse FULL dvd installation disk works

Opensuse KDE Live disk does NOT work (dropped to busybox)
        Manjaro 18.04 KDE disk does NOT work (dropped to busybox)
        Kubuntu 19.04 disk does not work

All with similar messages as above, UEFI db list and initramfs. Even the massive opensuse installation DVD baulked at first loading and spat out a 'AMDGPU Invalid PCI ROM Header' error message before it carried on the install routine.

Noticed this guy posting on the kde neon forum the other day, sounds similar except neon worked on mine, no reply yet: https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=309&t=162264

This is what I get, certainly the top two lines of this: https://www.reddit.com/r/Ubuntu/comm...ci_rom_header/

Even more puzzled

Comment

But have you tried checking the iso or downloading it again?

What software are you using to create the USB sticks? It should not matter , but in my long experience it sometimes (rarely) does.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

Comment

Oh yeah, the first kubuntu ones I got were from the main site download source, then after you said I started using the 'alternative' links and did download and torrent and from different mirrors. All checked off fine - and spin up on my old back room rig.

Burning software is k3b with ROSA / unetbootin / Etcher in linux, but I've been using windows mainly, so Image Burner with Rufus / Etcher / unetbootin but mainly stuck to rufus. I meant to try ISO Image Writer the modern KDE fork of ROSA but couldn't find it in neon.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
              My first thought would be that the download is corrupted, especially as both the USB and the DVD failed.

Neon is Ubuntu 18.04, and will behave the same as Ubuntu/Kubuntu 18.04 in terms of booting etc. Really, 19.04 should be identical in this Since Neon boots fine, this makes me think it is the downloaded file, assuming that the USB stick is the same one.

tbh, you won't see much of a difference between a minimal Kubuntu 19.04 and a standard KDE Neon. Neon won't have the Driver Manager, but with your hardware you won't have a use for it. We have many Neon users here.

But the issue at hand is definitely puzzling.
              Thanks I'm not sure why it was corrupted but after re-downloading it doesn't fail.

Comment

Glad it is working now.
                Sometimes this sort of thing Just Happens

Comment

Just tried the 19.10 daily iso and that boots up fine and has the Install option (no reason to assume it doesn't work).

I'll just wait till 19.10 comes out, gives me a little time to become familar with Neon and ubuntu workings.

Comment

Working...
                  X