X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Installation] Best GUI programme for burning ISO to USB

Hi,

What is the best programme on Kubuntu for burning an ISO file onto a USB to make it bootable? I have, in the past, used Rufus on Windows but I want to know what is recommended on Linux? I have tried with Balena Etcher but for some reason it doesn't always work on Linux, yet on the Windows version it did. I have also noticed that it can be required to make the USB to GPT rather than MBR, yet it doesn't appear the KDE Disk Partitioner is able to do this? Is there another piece of partition software that can do this? Many thanks!

Originally posted by CanyonRoss View Post
    I have tried with Balena Etcher but for some reason it doesn't always work on Linux, yet on the Windows version it did.
    This is what I was actually going to suggest. I've never had a problem with it working on Linux, never tried it on Windows as the only Windows installs that I use regularly are on VMs. Too bad that it isn't working. I like it. Simple, easy and removes quite a few of the user errors that I would be worried about making (others may not).
    Lenovo Thinkstation: Xeon E5 CPU 32GB ECC Ram KDE Neon

Comment

Originally posted by WWDERW View Post
      This is what I was actually going to suggest. I've never had a problem with it working on Linux, never tried it on Windows as the only Windows installs that I use regularly are on VMs. Too bad that it isn't working. I like it. Simple, easy and removes quite a few of the user errors that I would be worried about making (others may not).
      It is really weird, I'm not sure what is going wrong. It goes through the complete "flashing" process without issue, then it goes to validate it, and as it gets to 100%, then goes to unmount and says "Something went wrong. If it is a compressed image, please check the archive is not corrupted". Yet on the Windows version of Balena the exact same file works fine.

Comment

Googling that error, it seems that versions from 1.5.51 fix it.
        I have 1.5.24 (it's in the appimage filename) and I don't get the error (or any others actually).

I like Balena better than... all the others I've tried really. Fast (well faster than) and reasonably foolproof (yes I have been fooled by others, and the results were "not nice". :·//

I use Unetbootin - which is a bit clunky and obnoxious, but it works - only if I need persistence space on the stick, Balena can't do that - yet anyway.
        Last edited by Don B. Cilly; Sep 03, 2019, 09:45 AM.

Comment

Thanks. I am using version 1.5.56-linux-x64 so it's the latest version... Bit irritating

Comment

Well, you can always use dd

I mean, google "use dd to create bootable usb", cook yourself some popcorn and...

Comment

Hi
              Interesting question!
              I have made such MANY times using smaller distros such as Puppy etc. . They, however, have specific releases for a usb situation. you just drag the .iso to the usb and it works because it is MADE for a usb and it runs as a "live cd". But, it can be wearisome in terms of trading in and out of the cache.

BUT SINCE YOU are looking are for a GUI program, there is one in the repos.

It is CALLED...USB creator KDE.

So just enter that search term and you will see maybe five returns.

There are several other versions, but you want the KDE version.

It installs with several other packages but...

IN THE MENU it is "Startup Disk Creator"

There are several articles on the net about "Startup Disk Creator" for Ubuntu but you really do not need to read them.

A) You will have to have a usb that is COMFORTABLY large enough to hold the OS. THIS IS NOT A BLOW AWAY comment.

One of the things about installing to a Hard Drive is that, yes, one can get away with a very small hard drive, but the OS needs "breathing room" for things like cache etc. otherwise the disk is always spinning to "trade things in and out".

So get a GENEROUS USB , I might recommend maybe a 64 gigabyte but double that would only be a few dollars more.

B) So...
              a) Download the Kubuntu Iso.
              b) insert the usb
              c) Click the menu item Startup Disk creator

One sees a VERY minimalist window compared to something like K3B.

It will automagically find the .iso image and show it in the top pane.
              The usb will be shown in the bottom pane.
              Click the lowest button "make startup disk".

THERE MAY be questions like the normal ones such as keyboard, country all that but... maybe not... it kind of depends on things I think.

it starts, go get some coffee or set the TeaTimer, IF YOU HAVE IT INSTALLED ! lol and wait / or answer questions if needed.

After a while you have the os on the usb and safely remove etc.

if there are any other questions please holler.

woodsmoke
              Last edited by woodsmoke; Sep 03, 2019, 11:04 AM.
              sigpic
              Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

To some extent all the "burners" make use of dd, or something functionally identical to dd, to do the actual movement of the image to the target. Using dd can be dangerous if you enter the wrong drive name in the "of=" string, but the same error can happen with a GUI version. I find myself using dd more these days for USB burning, rather than worrying about what the latest/working GUI burner is available.
                The next brick house on the left
                Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Building a Kubuntu live USB flash drive installer using dd

https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...712#post378712
                  An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Etcher was going to be my first suggestion as well , then "dd" , then "mkusb" (dose really good persistence + storage) .

So "dd" is dead simple and works always (if the .ISO is a hybrid image) all the *buntu's are.

"dd" will also over write whatever it's pointed at and dose not care if it's the running system or what , so make sure you have the destination correct (the "of=") part.

and it would be
                    Code:
                    sudo dd if=/home/vinny/Downloads/eoan-desktop-amd64.iso of=/dev/sdd status=progress
                    to make sure of the "of=" I plug the USB stick in then do
                    Code:
                    sudo parted -l
                    and get ,,,

Code:
                    vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:~$ sudo parted -l
                    [sudo] password for vinny: 
                    Model: ATA HGST HTS725050A7 (scsi)
                    Disk /dev/sda: 500GB
                    Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B
                    Partition Table: msdos
                    Disk Flags: 

Number  Start   End    Size    Type      File system     Flags
                    1      8225kB  323GB  323GB   primary   btrfs           boot
                    3      323GB   379GB  56.3GB  primary   ext4
                    4      379GB   496GB  117GB   extended
                    6      379GB   436GB  57.0GB  logical   ext4
                    5      436GB   496GB  59.8GB  logical   ext4
                    2      496GB   500GB  4295MB  primary   linux-swap(v1)

Model: ATA HGST HTS721010A9 (scsi)
                    Disk /dev/sdb: 1000GB
                    Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B
                    Partition Table: gpt
                    Disk Flags: 

Number  Start   End     Size    File system  Name     Flags
                    1      1049kB  1000GB  1000GB  btrfs        primary

Model: ATA Samsung SSD 860 (scsi)
                    Disk /dev/sdc: 250GB
                    Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
                    Partition Table: loop
                    Disk Flags: 

Number  Start  End    Size   File system  Flags
                    1      0.00B  250GB  250GB  btrfs

Model: SanDisk SanDisk Ultra (scsi)
                    Disk [COLOR=#ff0000]/dev/sdd[/COLOR]: 15.9GB
                    Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
                    Partition Table: gpt
                    Disk Flags: 

Number  Start   End     Size    File system  Name     Flags
                    2      1049kB  2097kB  1049kB               primary  bios_grub
                    3      2097kB  130MB   128MB   fat32        primary  boot, esp
                    4      130MB   1270MB  1140MB               primary
                    5      1270MB  14.4GB  13.1GB  ext2         primary
                    1      14.4GB  15.9GB  1459MB  ntfs         primary  msftdata
                    and that's what I insert for the destination (the part in red)

by the way the USB that is /dev/sdd was made with mkusb with persistence and storage

VINNY
                    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                    16GB RAM
                    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Persistence is good.

I don't use it, but that's a choice. If I were going to use the Live installer on several machines, or had other reasons for being able to pack drivers, etc., onto the USB drive, then persistence would be that choice!
                      The next brick house on the left
                      Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Working...
                      X