This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No sound in New installation of Kubuntu 18.04

I am having personal memory problems. I hope I can make myself clear. Your patience and help is appreciated.

I installed 18.04. No sound. I installed what I thought was needed from Alsa. I also installed PulseAudio, but I am not sure what other packages may apply. I am having difficulty remembering what to do? Will someone guide me a bit, in solving my sound problems? Thanks in advance, Shab

Does this help? https://www.ghacks.net/2019/08/13/fi...ng-headphones/

Comment

NO, but it is a problem with a new and fresh installation of K18.04. I am wondering if I should reinstall. The only sound I get is when checking left and right speaker. I don't think that is a part of system sounds. Additionally I am wondering if there is a problem with K18.04? This is the first time I have taken the easy route and did not partition the drive. Thanks for trying to help. Shab
      Originally posted by Iangh View Post

Comment

I have had a no audio sound on Kubuntu and Mint, but that is usually solved by switching the default audio device (which I'm thinking was covered in that article listed above). That's the only thing that I can think of. This was also with the minimum install of Kubuntu, so I think if there would have been something missing, it would have been with that. But switching the default playback device is what helped me.
        Lenovo Thinkstation: Xeon E5 CPU 32GB ECC Ram KDE Neon

Comment

Originally posted by Shabakthanai View Post
          The only sound I get is when checking left and right speaker.
          Then your sound card/chip is recognized and working. What you are most likely experiencing is that Plasma Workspace sound events aren't activated.

System Settings > Notifications then in the Event Source: drop down, scroll down and select Plasma Workspace. For each of the items you want sound for, click its check box (Play a sound). When done selecting the items desired, click the Apply button.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
            Then your sound card/chip is recognized and working. What you are most likely experiencing is that Plasma Workspace sound events aren't activated.

System Settings > Notifications then in the Event Source: drop down, scroll down and select Plasma Workspace. For each of the items you want sound for, click its check box (Play a sound). When done selecting the items desired, click the Apply button.
            When I attempt to select 'Play a Sound', it won't accept my checkmark. I click and nothing happens. Nice to see you are still in the forum. I have missed you all. Much of the time, my computer hasn't been working properly, and I am unable to do the physical part myself. Still many things are going very well. I am happy even though I am not able to do much work on the computer. Thanks for all past help.

You are the best at what you do. Shab

Comment

I had what sounds like a similar problem. I have a Bluetooth speaker, but it was trying to play to the analog audio out which has no speakers. I had to slide my speaker into the top position under Audio Playback on Phonon (Audio & Video) to get it to work.

Comment

It did not help, but thanks for trying. Shab

Comment

Thanks for trying. I am grateful. Shab

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post

This was the solution. Thank you, my old friend. My place gets too quiet when there is no sound coming from my computer. This is the best forum. Everyone pitches in to help and problems are fixed quite fast. Shabakthanai

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon73 View Post
                      I had what sounds like a similar problem. I have a Bluetooth speaker, but it was trying to play to the analog audio out which has no speakers. I had to slide my speaker into the top position under Audio Playback on Phonon (Audio & Video) to get it to work.
                      Fa;con 73, Snowhog had the solution. Thanks for your input. You are much appreciated. Shab

Comment

Working...
                      X