This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KOrganizer Help Please

Hello, new to Kubuntu but I've been using Linux for awhile mostly Mint. Is the KOrganizer package that installs with Kubuntu just buggy as heck or is it my user error ? I can't seem to delete an event...nothing happens. I get the same message over and over when trying to add a new event "select a new collection" which I then have to search for to find my saved calendar. I only have the one calendar and want it to be default.

Would anyone be so kind as to walk me through KOrganizer a bit or is it just wonky and not worth the effort ? I have used Thunderbird in the past but like how KOrganizer integrates into Kubuntu.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I'm using Kubunbtu 19.04 64 bit.

Hang in there. Someone with KOrganizer experience should be along.

Now, my personal experience with the kdepim thing has not been good. When I did use it, it never really failed like it seems to be doing for you, but it was just too "heavy" and demanding. I use Thunderbird and its Lighning add-on and have never been let down. When I set up an event, and tell it to give me a reminder, that reminder pops up just like it should. It may not be a perfect rendition of the KDE theming and the "look and feel", but it's certainly not ugly and it works! I can build and print calendars. It has event categories, and those can be customized. My needs are pretty simple, and one of those needs is high availability and stability. Thunderbird in KDE does just that, just like some other apps that are not pure KDE.
    The next brick house on the left
    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Hi
      and welcome to the forum that is better than jam on buttered toast!
      Your problem is not one that I have seen before, but it may be that you should tick the circle in the left panel of something like 'personal calendar" and then try to add an item.. I jus tried to add an item and it popped that i had not selected a calendar and to select one from the left panel. It then went ahead and added the item and I then was able to delete it.

MORE IMPORTANTLY, in the setup of Kontact the very first time it might ask if the Akonadi server has been enabled. That server has to be enabled to have an e-mail account added. Have you added an e-mail account successfully?

thanks for the question

I have a thread buried in the dungeon somewere that is labled "Kontact yada yada" you can search for that and my user name and I have a long how to about how to work with MS Outlook online and gmail.

I'll fiddle around and try to come back with a link to add in here but it might be quicker for you to find it.

woodsmoke
      sigpic
      Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Hi
        i just looked through my threads about setup for Kontact and they have been either deleted or archived and that is ok because of Kontact really is just a mess and such posts are version dependent and get "stale" after bug fixes etc.

Fundamentally one must set up an e-mail acount and the Akonadai server has to be enabled to get Kontact to work correctly.

The fundamental problem for the Akonnadai server is that Gmail and MS have regularly changed "some little thing" to get into their e-mails that Akonadai does not recognize and one has to go through a whole new setup or the Sever has to be changed by the developers to interact with Gmail or MS . These are NOT "bugs" in the system it is that Google and MS want you to use thier systems and not "a client". The same goes for Yahoo which is just impossible to interact with.

So, to get back to things.
        It MAY BE that the Akonadi server is not setup.

So, again, have you set up at least one e-mail account?

Surprisingly, MS for something like your work is ptobably now "on the cloud" and if it is then it sets up very easily just supply your e-mail and password and it works.

And the reason for this is that MS is getting paid a lot of money by the business, or whatever, and so it could care less about your "client".

Gmail sometimes works sometimes does not.

When you set up an e-mail account the calendar is automatically setup and, again, to add an event you will then need to tick the circle in the left pane to add it to the e-mail account's calendar or your personal calendar.

So, holler back and it may be that somebody way more knowledgeable than me will reply or I might reply.

again, thanks for making the post and please do come back and interact with the wonderful folks at Kubuntu forums!

woodsmoke
        sigpic
        Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Please read my previous post ...but,,,

I was wrong about Akonadai server.

I have not run Kontact on the present machine and had installed it for our discussion, I DID NOT set up an e-mail but... Akonadai server started up when I turned the machine on today, so... it "should be"| maybe that your Akonadai server is running and if that is the case then my adivice about your situation is negated. .

woodsmoke
          sigpic
          Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Thank you so much for the help. Let me try the things suggested and see how it goes. I'll let you know how I make out...

EDIT: Well I don't know what I did but it seems to be working now (sort of). I can at least add and delete Events on the KOrganizer calendar although it seems very buggy.

Comment

Working...
            X