Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I installed kubuntu now can't boot to windows.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I installed kubuntu now can't boot to windows.

Like the title says. I followed a how to thread on this and when I boot I only get option to run kubuntu and no option for Windows 10. Did I just write over everything.

Root 24mb
    Swap 3000mb
    Home 123000mb
    Efi 200mb

Any help greatly appreciated!

You may have written over something, but it's not easy to know from... here.
    What does it say if you type
    sudo parted -l [Enter]
    in a terminal/konsole?

Also, the output of
    awk -F\' '/menuentry / {print $2}' /boot/grub/grub.cfg

would be interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Don B. Cilly View Post
      You may have written over something, but it's not easy to know from... here.
      What does it say if you type
      sudo parted -l [Enter]
      in a terminal/konsole?

Also, the output of
      awk -F\' '/menuentry / {print $2}' /boot/grub/grub.cfg

would be interesting.
      I am currently trying to reinstall it. As soon as I get it back up I will try those and report back here

Comment

ity:~$ sudo parted -l
        [sudo] password for panch0:
        Model: ATA TOSHIBA MQ01ABD1 (scsi)
        Disk /dev/sda: 1000GB
        Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B
        Partition Table: gpt
        Disk Flags:

Number Start End Size File system Name Flags
        1 1049kB 24.0GB 24.0GB ext4
        2 24.0GB 27.0GB 3000MB linux-swap(v1)
        3 27.0GB 150GB 123GB ext4
        4 150GB 150GB 200MB fat32 boot, esp

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

ity:~$ awk -F\' '/menuentry / {print $2}' /boot/grub/grub.cfg
        Ubuntu
        Ubuntu, with Linux 5.0.0-13-generic
        Ubuntu, with Linux 5.0.0-13-generic (recovery mode)
        System setup

Comment

It looks like I may have lost my windows 10 partition. It is a new laptop and didnt have anything important.

Comment

Well, it looks like you did "just write over everything", I'm afraid :·/
            See, there's only one disk (/dev/sda).
            It has 4 partitions on it. Root, home, swap and efi.

No windows partition.
            No windows grub menu entry either.

So, unless you have another disk, and the BIOS doesn't see it, your windows is gone.
            Which, one might argue, is all for the best except, of course, if you had some stuff on it and you don't have a backup.

It's funny, though, because your disk is quite cleverly partitioned. Did the installer choose that for you, or you did "manual" partitioning?

[EDIT] I obviously hadn't seen your last post.
            Last edited by Don B. Cilly; Jul 09, 2019, 11:54 PM.

Comment

I did the manual partition. It is a new laptop with a 1tb hdd. I need to figure out how to get windows installed in the rest of the free space so I can use for class assignments. Visual Studio only works in windows unfortunately

Comment

Well, the idea is to format that free space to NTFS or whatever Windows 10 prefers, and install it there.
                The windows installer will do that for you, or you can pre-format it with the partition manager.
                Now, I haven't installed windows for more than 10 years, so... no-eyed-deer there.

Apparently it tries - and succeeds - to take over the whole system so it may be difficult to boot back into Linux at first, but it can be fixed.
                I guess you'll be a bit more careful with the partitioning now

[EDIT] If you have a product key (like a label on the bottom of the laptop), just look up "Create installation media for Windows"
                Last edited by Don B. Cilly; Jul 10, 2019, 12:15 AM.

Comment

Thank you for your help. I definitely wont rush through it again.

Comment

And panch0, don't forget Boot Repair--a CD or USB you can make--and for a simple system like you are structuring, it should work flawlessly to fix your GRUB booting; in fact, it can fix quite complex systems, too.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair
                    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Working...
                    X